Who does this surgery and where?

shoutjoy
on 1/25/06 9:53 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi Laurie, I am so glad you are having great success. I hope you continue to do so. I have learned through ObesityHelp.com and other groups that no one surgery is the best of all. I think it is an individual choice. Some choices work, some don't. That is the chance we take. Keep in touch! Paula
Laurie LOVES her DS
on 1/26/06 9:09 am - Southern, CA
Hi Paula, I agree that the type of surgery is an individual choice, but it goes much further. Individual surgeons will tweak the surgeries even further. Some want to be able to publish studies showing their patients have a higher rate of ewl. So... they use a shorter intestine, leading to more frequent BMs. Dr. Anthone (and other DS surgeons) are much more conservative than others who are performing the DS, so its possible that is why my experience may be different than your friends. From the postings on several message boards I read, with some surgeons, there seems to be a pattern...their patients experience more weight loss, but with higher # of BMs. But when it's this bad... it could very well be an intestinal bug causing symptoms... That is why I urged your friends who are suffering to call their surgeons...Although some DS patients do have more frequent BM's, what you are describing is NOT normal and sometimes a simple bottle of Flagyl is all it takes to do the trick. Often patients are reluctant to contact their surgeons...that is what they are there for...follow up care. Take care and I hope your DS friends get relief...they do NOT have to suffer like this. (((Hugs))) Laurie
shoutjoy
on 1/26/06 9:18 am - Culpeper, VA
Hi Laurie, You are a first. I have never heard of a success determined by the number of BMs. Anyway, I don't have very many MGB friends. Many of them refuse to associate with others who have not had the same surgery which is a shame because they are missing out on alot of wonderful relationships. So it is wonderful meeting you! Paula
Laurie LOVES her DS
on 1/26/06 10:12 am - Southern, CA
Yeah, I agree with you about people not wanting to associate with those having a surgery different than their own... Sometimes they feel out of place talking with other type surgical patients as their whole experience (recovery/food/medical needs) differs greatly. Ya know... we were all in the same boat before surgery, struggling with morbid obesity and the sociological, psychological and physical aspects. About the # of BM's... In the DS, there seems to be a correlation between a shorter common channel, the frequency of BMs and the excess weight loss (ewl) achieved. I initially rejected the DS as a surgical choice for myself, until I found out that one of the most experienced DS surgeons (Anthone) had started making the common channel longer and the stomach smaller, eliminating side effects that plagued earlier patients. Medicine constantly evolves and is studied carefully in order to phase out outdated procedures and replace them with something that is better. OH is a good thing and I hope more people like yourself appreciate the community as a whole...it's a good thing to have a large circle of support from others who have really "walked a mile in our shoes". Take care, Laurie (who doesn't care what kind of surgery a person has had...as long as it helps them achieve the dreams they only hoped for in their pre-op life.
IowaHouseFlipper
on 3/24/06 8:46 pm - Belle Plaine, IA
Thanks so much for being so honest and open about your DS Laurie. I really do appreciate it. I've heard talk of this Flagyl stuff but the posts weren't completely clear and I didn't know what it was for. I'll do my best to pass this on to my two friends (if timing is appropriate) but it's a difficult topic to bring up. Thanks again and thanks for sharing the knowledge too. Peggy
Barbara Hansen
on 3/9/06 11:28 am - Vancouver, WA
since I live in Vancouver WA. could you tell me more about this Dr. in Kenniwick? Barbara
star .
on 3/23/06 10:47 pm - OK
Most major insurance companies DO NOT pay for it ; ie Aetna, BCBS. You might also check out the verticle gastricsleeve forum.
IowaHouseFlipper
on 3/24/06 8:41 pm - Belle Plaine, IA
Hi Leslie, as far as Lap MGB doctors goes, I had mine done by Dr Peter O'Brien in Sioux Falls SD. I think my insurance was billed like $23,000 total but the actual pay out was much less. This was 2001 too. Dr. O'Brien "is not" in the closnet group. He "was" trained by Dr. Rutledge though and he's done tons of Lap MGB and other types of surgeries. But he has no contracts with Rutledges group and has an independent practice from them. Hope this helps. Peggy
star .
on 5/12/06 11:40 pm - OK
You need to contact your insurance company directly; MOST insurance companies such as Aetna and BCBS DO NOT cover this proceedure.
star .
on 5/12/06 11:40 pm - OK
ps. also be advised if your insurance company excludes this and you 'self' pay and have complications they will NOT pay for any medical bills...
Most Active
Recent Topics
MGP in Ontario
NAP2013 · 2 replies · 918 views
New to this
Grammy1976 · 0 replies · 1249 views
Pre-op diet
LovelyBeck · 0 replies · 2067 views