Diminishing Dawn’s Posts

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/5/18 7:00 pm
Topic: RE: VSG or RNY?

Rny why

It's a very personal decision.

Sleeve was not a popular option when I had my surgery in 2006. I had a choice of Rny vs duodenal switch. I felt overall more comfortable with Rny because it was commonly done, had years of research behind it etc.
I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Even now if I redid it I would still choose Rny. While the sleeve initially looked amazing as an alternative procedure, the longer term results to me are underwhelming with studies showing higher incidence of regain, less likelihood of staying in long term diabetes remission (2/3 remission vs 1/5 remission long term) and of course, numerous people needing revisions that I've seen due to reflux.

If you have reflux it is best typically to have RNY. If you have any preexisting intestine issues (crohns etc) then the sleeve may be a better choice.

Sleeve typically has the best results for those with 100 lbs to lose or less.

Some are of the view that it's less invasive to have sleeve so they are more comfortable with that. While others don't want to throw out part of their stomach and want the Rny. It's really a personal choice and comorbidities also come into play as to what is recommended.

No matter which surgery you get know two things:

1. Complications can happen with ANY surgery. I have friends that have had more complications than I have had including a few that needed
Revisions due to horrid reflux with sleeve. So even with sleeve you are not immune to complications.

2. Vitamins are not optional. By 5 years out deficiencies between both surgeries are similar. I see all the time where people say "I chose the sleeve because I didn't want any deficiencies". Sorry but both surgeries can bring about deficiencies. Vitamins are for life.

Sleeve might be a better consideration of you have crohns or already battle with malabsorption. If you are a lightweight, sleeve might be a better option. Heavyweight, Rny is definitely a better option according to studies.

Good luck with your choice. There's lots to consider. More than 200 pounds to lose then you owe it to yourself to research the duodenal switch.

If there's one thing I would suggest to everyone is that you look past the first year. Everyone loses weight the first year. You need to look at and research long term results.

Know too that surgeons can also have biases as to what they will steer you towards surgery wise. I've seen people told to get the wrong surgery-surgeries that made conditions worse and surgeries that did not have the best outcome for their BMI-for example a person that needed to lose 300 pounds was recommended the lap band! Do some research outside your surgeon too. A surgeon who does not perform a duodenal switch for instance, will have biases against the DS and won't recommend it. Much like a Chrysler salesperson will not recommend a Ford . Research research research!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/30/18 3:21 pm
Topic: RE: Windsor Sarnia

Both communities have support groups and lots of patients :-) great for meeting people. I'm in Windsor.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/23/18 9:00 pm
Topic: RE: Considering the sleeving but I'm scared

With 150 lbs to lose, you are better off to consider rny. The sleeve long term studies definitely point to the sleeve as being better for those with 100 lbs to lose (versus those with higher bmi).

As someone who had surgery a year before your mother (and I had an rny in 2006 and around 150 lbs to lose) that keeping off most of your weight is possible but it takes lifelong diligence. It's not an easy journey for sure and keeping weight off long term is definitely NOT easy.

Good luck to you. Just keep in mind that you're mothers story is not your story.

Dawn

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/20/18 3:17 pm
Topic: RE: Do we have a vote?

The default for surgery is RNY. That's the standard in Ontario.

SOME surgeons consider patients request if there is a reason. Some don't.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/19/18 6:23 pm
Topic: RE: Crushing calcium?

Have you had a bone mass density test done yet?

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/19/18 6:22 pm
Topic: RE: Crushing calcium?

Jamison is a mix. Mostly carbonate

::-(

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/14/18 7:48 pm
Topic: RE: Revision

Revisions are done yes but it is a process like anything else.

They will want you first use your tool they want you to work on your diet first. They might even have you do the OPTi fast program for weight management. If they decide to go on further for reVision you are going to go to the same process.

They won't just hand you over a chance to do a revision. It's a long process and they will want to make sure that you're ready for it.

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/7/18 7:56 pm
Topic: RE: Pouch question

It is likely that it wasn't chewed enough so it wasn't passing through the stoma. That's why you only throw up some and not all of your meal.

The foamies is usually the way of the body adding liquid to help food pass through the stoma.

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/3/18 9:59 pm
Topic: RE: Is it weird to be happy about stalling?

I was a slow loser. My skin still looked bad. It's more about the general elasticity of your skin. If been overweight a long time and my skin was not going to bounce back unfortunately. Age and genetics factor is there too.

Glad you have a positive attitude about your stall. Keep moving forward.

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/3/18 7:38 pm
Topic: RE: Cheated on opti.

As long as you get back on track right away you'll be fine

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/3/18 5:46 pm
Topic: RE: Help

If you Google the Toronto eating for health guidelines booklet there's recipes in there for making a Optifast hot chocolate and Optifast pudding.

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/2/18 8:09 pm
Topic: RE: VSG vs RNY

Anyone with bmi over 60 should research the duodenal switch. That would be my first choice of surgeries at that bmi. Second would be rny.

Long term studies say that patients who are most successful with Sleeve are those with around 100 lbs to lose. Those they are supermorbidly obese don't do as well.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/30/18 6:25 am
Topic: RE: Protein powder

Avoid this product. The 30 grams had always been sketchy science. Their protein is actually around 10 grams and their marketing is that their protein absorbs "three times better" so it's "like" you are getting 30 grams per scoop. Hence the funny notation in the label ++30.

They have been sued. Had to change their protein labels because they used to say they were "medical grade" protein. (There's no such designation ). They recently lost their lawsuit.

I would personally find a vetted protein protein by a company who doesn't use tricky marketing techniques.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/29/18 3:07 pm
Topic: RE: Vitamins for post op

Soft gels wouldn't reversely best form since we don't absorb fats well.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/28/18 5:54 pm
Topic: RE: Calcium citrate help please... Costco horse pills suck!

Jamp also makes a chewable that you can order into any pharmacy.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/27/18 6:51 pm
Topic: RE: Amounts of food

Usually around 1/2 c protein. 1/2 cup veggies and 1/4 cup starch.

Stop when satiated.

You can find the twh guideline online and look for the maintenance phase or past the initial stages.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/27/18 6:47 pm
Topic: RE: Type 2 Diabetics who had WLS

My hubby was on copious amounts of insulin prior to surgery. His diabetes had gotten pretty bad.

Sux years later, no insulin. They kept him on metformin as a precaution but sugars are always good.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/26/18 6:18 pm
Topic: RE: Need help, advice and a kick in the pants

Struggling? Give yourself some grace. You are human. Begin again and take out your program that you were given from your program. . Look at it and live it again. Throw all the processed stuff out, focus on protein first again and vegetables second.

Use myfitnesspal and make yourself accountable again. We are often thinking that we aren't eating much when we actually are once we make ourselves accountable for every lick, bite and taste.

Go back to your support group meetings if you have one.

Don't hesitate to call your centre and see who you need to see --- dietician, social workers etc.

We are all different. If you have an eating disorder then look into therapy.

Most of the time though we need to go back to the habits that helped us lose the weight. We slack over time and go back to our old ways.

If you need a support group like weigh****chers or TOPS try that.

Look for programs from your nearby eating disorder place, mental health has programming too and health units.

Try new things. You never know what will motivate you. The important part is to KEEP TRYING.

Be honest. Talk about it. In support groups too. The honesty with yourself and others is important. You are not perfect and you don't have to be. The more we share when we are struggling the more we can support one another. Find mentors.

Remember too that keeping off anymore can be just as important as losing.

I'm 11 years out and there can be times that I struggle too. "Moderation" is very tricky for many of us and doesn't come innately. It's a struggle and sometimes it's day by day. You're worth it!!!

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/25/18 5:11 pm
Topic: RE: T - 13 Days to Optifast - Saying Goodbye to Favourite Foods

Very few of us dump long term. If you do you're blessed.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/23/18 6:23 pm
Topic: RE: Declined

The only reasons I've ever seen anyone turn down in the final stages was because they have a severe medical issues that interferes with surgery like not being able to clot blood. Unless you have a major health condition don't worry about it

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/23/18 6:21 pm
Topic: RE: T - 13 Days to Optifast - Saying Goodbye to Favourite Foods

I'm 11.5 years out and there's not really anything that I have said goodby to forever.

No goodbyes necessary

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/21/18 6:55 pm
Topic: RE: I?m new and have questions

If course :-)

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/19/18 4:17 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone try Calcium patch?

Citrate is the recommended form. Skip these poor supplements.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/17/18 7:49 pm
Topic: RE: I?m new and have questions

Things To Do While Waiting For Waiting for Surgery

The thing is (and I know this all too well) you become somewhat obsessed with surgery once you've decided that you are going to go through with it. It's understandable because we know that it's going to be an amazing change especially after seeing so many of our friends go through this surgery or seeing the before and after photos. Quite frankly, we are also a society where we have very little sense of delayed gratification - we want what we want NOW. So I'm here to shed a little understanding on WHY the wait is crucial and what you can do to benefit you in the meantime.

You need to reframe your thinking on the whole process. This is not merely a set of hoops to jump through. To be a success with gastric bypass or sleeve you are going to need to make some drastic changes BEFORE surgery.

There's so much to learn, to know, and to understand that there needs to be a process for best outcomes. This is a HARD road. This is not brain surgery people. That's the problem. We get our bodies rerouted but we still have the same fat brain. That fat brain will want to sabotage us along the process. We have to outsmart it with education and by establishing some positive habits now.

We have SO much to learn through this process in order to be a success that I often suggest to people that they EMBRACE the time as preparation time for what is going to be the most amazing (but often challenging) time of your life. So start preparing now:

Prepare your Resources:

Begin by preparing your resources for surgery. I would suggest that most people read AT LEAST two good books on surgery to understand the basics. I've seen so many people not read a thing other than the handouts given by the surgical centre. There's barely any information there to be honest. The best resource I suggest is Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. Truly I think it should be mandatory reading for anyone preop. Some other ones I like are the Real Skinny on WLS (Janeway) and the Complete Weight Loss Surgery Guide and Diet Program by Sue Ekserci.

Start a binder with ALL your resources given by your hospital. If you can get a copy beforehand, get a copy of your eating plan through your surgical centre. Start creating meal plans according to each food stage.

Make a shopping list. Know your eating stages like the back of your hand.

Try a few shakes but don't get carried away as your tastes may change. If you see any samples, buy them to try after surgery. Remember protein is key.

Learn what makes a good quality protein shake (low carb, high protein). Don't get fooled by people you know that might want to try and sell you their inferior shake that "worked for them".

Learn and read! Collect recipes and calculate nutritional info if possible.

Write down a list of complications and what to watch for. Learn and read your message boards every day.

See what it is like as a new post op after surgery. Follow specific peoples stories as they go through the process. They might be good mentors to learn from (or even those of what not to do!).

Research your hotel options and travel options for your spouse if you are traveling. I did this months ahead for my hubby so that I knew where we would stay, routes and even shopping areas. Loved ones will benefit from your thoroughness.

Document every visit to your dietician, social worker etc. Keep your homework. Write down your responses and document what you've learned as you go through. You'll appreciate your thoroughness later!

You need to know these things. Learn the difference between dumping syndrome, foamies and things getting stuck.

Read about a stricture, hypoglycemia, slider foods, plateau/stall, NSAID (we cannot have them), malabsorption, restriction, ketosis, why carbs matter, vitamins, etc.

Read and read and then read some more! (Seriously!).

Read about what dumping syndrome is and why you cannot count on having it.

Learn what the expected loss rate is.

Learn about things that you can do to increase your rate of loss.

The bariatric centre won't tell you all things. Some people lose 50 lbs, other lose 150...find out the differences to their level of success.

Prepare Your Mind:

I have always said that the mental aspects of this surgery are the hardest. While the six months to a year are fairly easy (albeit the first 6 weeks can be TOUGH), after that this surgery is going to be hard. Explore the issues that have lead you to this point.

Look into whether you have an eating disorder, learn about what your patterns are and why you've gotten here.

What are you replacing with food? Are you a binge eater? Emotional eater? Boredom eater?

Start working on these issues now because some time after a year, it is no longer going to be a constant high and the amounts that you'll be able to eat will be greater.

I'm going to be honest here and say that there is a failure rate for surgery. Some people do gain all or most of their weight because they have not dealt with these issues. You need to know that and really start to explore your eating issue.

Do you just "like food"? Is it instant gratification? Then it's time to start teaching yourself about delayed gratification. Yes, it's going to be about willpower again certainly after a point. Start to teach yourself about discipline, putting off a craving, finding other outlets for emotions and stress. I know this sounds preachy but my surgical centre did nothing about this and I really wish they'd did. At 2 years out I had to find therapy in community and was lucky that I had it.

Utilize your centre's dietician and social worker for these changes. Start making big changes now. You can only benefit from this. Start exercising. Start getting rid of all the negatives in your life. Time for a positive change. Get rid of the baggage.

Listen CLOSELY to the stories of the veterans and their struggles. There is a bit of time. Where you feel like you are invincible and that you will never ever have food issues again. You need to know that they do come back. You will not be a perfect bariatric patient forever. I just feel like you will never be that person again but you will! Old habits die very hard and overtime we can easily become lax with our habits. No one is immune.

Prepare Your Family or Spouse:

There may need to be some changes in your house. Although you cannot DEPEND on your family to go through all the same changes as you, you will need their support and their help especially for the first 2-4 weeks. Time to prepare everyone about what you'll be needing and what they'll need to do to pitch in to make your recovery smoother. Remember too - if you are keeping your surgery a secret, you need to draw boundaries with your family as often the "secret" gets out.

Track other people's journeys:

As you see some people preparing for surgery that will have surgery before you, watch their journeys. Read how they manage the first month out. Look at what they struggle with, how they solve their problems and record and write down what you learn. You'll only benefit from what you learn.

Find Mentors:

Find a mentor - whether online or in person. Find someone that wouldn't mind you emailing them if a question should arise. You might be feeling panicky after surgery or you might not want to post everything to the masses online. Find that person who you've learned from and respect and who will give you quality, sound advice. Find someone who is stable and secure. If they seem flighty or highly emotionally charges, stay away. Find someone who seems to give helpful advice and is willing to answer your questions. Find someone you relate to. Actually, if anything, find MORE THAN ONE mentor. Sometimes people fall off the face of the earth or they might get to a point that they are struggling themselves and might not respond. Always nice to have a backup.

Find a Support Group:

Look for a support group in your area. Many communities have them. If you can get to one in a nearby community, I think it is just as valuable and worth a trip. Bring your spouse if they are a bit leery of surgery or bring a friend who is willing to support your surgery. Face to face contact is important. You have to be careful who you trust to be a mentor and seeing people in person may help you find someone. Don't be hestitant to email someone in your support group, they probably will be more than happy to help you. Even go out for coffee if they are willing. It helps to settle the nerves when you have a one on one talk. Go to meetings. Sometimes newbies feel a disconnect from the people in their support group. To quote one of the members in my support group, "Suck up every bit of information" from people that you can learn from, especially from people that have been there, done that. Experience is an amazing teacher. Taking advice from someone who has not gone through the surgery can be iffy at best. Learn from others. This is by far the most valuable piece. Make connections of support. Some times that means "putting yourself out there" and it is worth the risk!

I wish you well in your journey. Embrace the time you have now. You may find that before you know it, you'll feel a sense of panic because surgery "has come so soon!". It can be a funny thing!

Good luck, my friend!

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/17/18 12:37 pm
Topic: RE: Questions to ask the surgeon

Appointment with the surgeon is to discuss your very specific health conditions and even your medications. General questions can get answered by anyone. This is the time to use your specific situation and make sure that you are clear on what medications you are to stop /start after surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics