Anyone have low iron right before surgery?!!!

southernbelle102
on 9/27/11 2:55 pm
 I don't know if it is too late for this but I have found that taking prenatal vitamins has raised my iron levels a lot. ...
RhondaRoo
on 9/28/11 3:54 am - OH
Girl, PS Sista!!

I ended up with anemia after Round 1. I am on the low side of normal now, but the Rx will bring it up.

I'll be thinking and praying for you. (Got lots of time right now for that!)
RhondaRoo 256/235.5/131.8/120.0
Never, Never, Never Give Up  --Winston Churchill

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 4:54 am
So sorry to hear that, especially when you have been looking forward to it for so long. I went many months with a low-iron after my VSG so I have been taking iron for over 2 yrs now. I take BIFERA it's OTC which is 155% of daily iron, it has both kinds of iron in it vegetable and animal. It has never upset my stomach at all with or without food. I don't trust the iron content in the OTC vitamins myself to cheap.

Maybe doc will give you that script and you can get your numbers up quicker in time for xmas present for yourself.

Good luck
debtfree
on 10/4/11 1:21 am - OK
supposed to start on iron infusions.  I really hope it helps fast.

190 lbs lost
VSG 07/2008
lower body lift 10/2010
upper body lift 11/2011

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 6:19 am - Yorktown, VA
I had this issue and proceeded with surgery anyway.  It was stupid of me (and my surgeon) and I ended up having to get two blood transfusions in the OR and another one the next day.  The anemia persisted and I was ******g exhausted all the time......that bone tired like you're 2 months pregnant with 2 toddlers already (been there, done that) and don't think you'll make to 7:30 bedtime without passing out tired.  I was also pale and weak.  I ended up having to get an IV iron infusion.  I might still need another. 

So, my advice is don't do it.  Work to get those numbers up BEFORE surgery.  I know that it sucks to have to postpone it, but it's worth it.
ATHiker
on 10/2/11 12:19 pm - North Shore, MA
I had the same issue, but much lower numbers with a Hct of 24 pre-op. No wonder I felt so winded and tired all the time!! And that's WITH my normal vitamins and iron supps. HOWEVER... I was having a hysterectomy for heavy bleeding and had them do a tummy tuck at the same time. Everyone squawked a little bit about the low Hct, but without the hysterectomy nothing was gonna get better.

Like Tessy, I ended up getting transfused with three units of blood. But I ended up feeling so much better since it actually raised my Hct into the low 30's.

If it were a purely elective thing, I would definitely defer the surgery and work on getting your iron levels and Hgb/Hct up to safer levels. You'll feel and heal better.
 Forever cheerful in the face of rueful odds.... 

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLSX0Lu/] [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLSX0Lu/weight.png[/img] [/url]  
Most Active