What do I tell my surgeon

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/11 7:19 am
Lower bmi's do not exclude you from wls.

agreed - but there are much more hurdles to cross for insurance approval & the OP was looking to do this in a flash.
otherwise - going self pay is a fast tract to what she wants to accomplish & in her time frame.

others, like myself couldn't revise the same day as removal of the band - for a host of reasons.    
that's something you may or may not be able to plan for.

my only concern for this OP is she hasn't explained to her surgeon that she is on depression / pain meds.   not sure about other drs/surgeons, but after i'm weighed - i'm asked what medications i'm on.   that's pretty important information that this OP's thread question is about.....should she tell her surgeon - i said yes.

sflow67
on 10/3/11 5:31 am
hi Deb i dont have any advice to give you, but i hope everything works out for you in the long run. i think some ppl MEAN WELL when they try to offer advice but the delivery method is a bit HARSH(in my opinion). Me personally i dont believe in kicking a person when they are already down. Deb i will say a prayer for you and hope things get better for you.

peace
shireen
NoMore B.
on 10/6/11 9:25 am
 Your case is a classic example as to why some of us DS'ers get so evangelical about WLS choices.  You do realize, that by weight loss surgery standards, you are a success?  Success is measured by losing 50% of your excess weight.  Your BMI is under 40.  Unless your band damn near kills you, you are not getting insurance to pay for a revsion.  Even if you do have a problem, insurance might pay for the band to come out, and nothing to replace it.  Why do you think we say "think twice, cut once?"  I could care less if you personally take this advice or not, but I will post it in hopes that it reaches somoene else out there lurking where it can make a difference.

Are you all aware that Diana is an attorney who graciously offers her time at no cost to fight insurance companies over these issues? That she is the one of the few in the country to do so? Yeah, you probably didnt.  Good luck getting your revision approved.  
inmyownskin
on 10/7/11 8:41 am - Westbury, NY
Debbie,

I won't even engage in all that childish nonsense.  No one knows whether you gaining weight or not is a mechanical failure.  You didn't state that you had any tests such as an EGD to see if that was the case for you.  I too have a band and I am waiting for approval now to get a revision to RNY.  My surgeon's PA told me my band didn't fail and that I had psych issues that were causing me not to lose the weight and even gain.  Long behold, while getting tests done for the RNY, we find out that my band has slipped and that is why I don't get any restriction. The NSAID thing is actually something I found out a few weeks ago from just reading posts on here. You are not delusional.  Just take your time to get your info and then make a decision and proceed.  Be strong and just ignore those that can't be nice.  It is no one's place to decide if you need to be talked to that way or not.  You came here for information. NO reason someone can't describe the information to you and act human at the same time.  But as I know, also can't choose the minds that God decides to put in some people.  Good luck and message me if anything. There are alot of helpful people on here.
HW: 293 SW (lap-band 2007): 280 Consult Weight: 264 CW: 214
SW (RNY 2011): 254 Personal GW: 150 Surgeon's GW: 140

ssboyd
on 10/11/11 10:27 am - Heath, OH
Debbie,

I can't imagine you will get approved for surgery or get it done by November 21.  The only way you're going to know if it will get approved is to talk to a surgeon and have them submit for insurance approval.  It sounds to me like you were very successful with the band and a 15-lb regain is not alot, but with all the physical problems you have, I don't blame you for wanting to make sure you don't gain more. 

I'm scheduled to see my surgeon later this month regarding a revision from band to sleeve.  I don't you're at all delusional, as someone else insinuated in an earlier post.  I would just call it misinformed and as you research, you'll get more informed.

As for the nasty comments..... I left this forum 3 years ago because of the nasties.  Being a lawyer and offering free support is great, but it doesn't excuse being nasty for no reason.
Most Active
Recent Topics