Do NOT buy protein shots/bullets -- REPOST

GraceGirl
on 8/5/12 2:48 pm
Lora- you were the one who suggested i try these...they have saved me!!!

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/12 2:57 pm - OH
Glad you like them.  They are harder to find than the Isopure protein water (which I think is disgusting), and I know that a lot of people try the Isopure and don't like it and then won't try any of the other protein waters.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

HOUDINI1961
on 8/8/12 3:45 am - FL
Hi, it's me again.

I found this:

Twinlab, Cher-Amino, Predigested Collagen Protein.

It is a 16 oz. liquid, 2 tablespoons = 15g protein.

The back of bottle states:

"The protein used in this product is a predigested collagen and whey(lactalbumin) protein and is therefore utilized 100%".

So the statement on the back is either a lie or predigested collagen protein is okay.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/8/12 4:12 am - Baltimore, MD
 It's neither actually.

1. This statement is for non-ops, who digest more of what they eat than you do.

2. To say something is 100% utilized is a bit misleading. We don't utilize 100% of ANY food we eat. That's why we poop.

3. Collagen protein is ill-absorbed by all humans. Pre-digesting it probably simply makes the smaller portion of it that is possible for ANYONE to digest, easier to digest. But on the whole collage protein = crappy protein. It's the pork rinds of protein supplements.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

cmaggs
on 6/30/15 9:09 am

The bio availability of collagen protein is actually around 90% [1].  Furthermore, there are many incomplete proteins found in nature.  While they are not optimal alone, you can combined various incomplete proteins in your diet to increase effectiveness.  Most vegetarian proteins are incomplete.  Nuts, beans, rice, peas... all incomplete.  Finally, the role of proteins in our body is extremely complex.  Before sugars were linked with DNA, many biologists believe proteins to be the most essential "building blocks of life".  The effectiveness of collagen protein is still inconclusive, but it would be a reductionist statement to say they are "useless" because it is incomplete [2].

[1] Oral administration of 14C labelled gelatine hydrolysate leads to an accumulation of radioactivity in cartilage of mice (C57/BL)

[2] http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1576S.full

jazzycatz
on 6/30/15 11:24 am - Joppa, MD

You joined OH today. Please tell me it wasn't just to post this tidbit?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/30/15 11:36 am - OH

By the New Whey manufacturer's own admission several years ago, the PDCAAS score of their product was horribly low... So people are only getting a small fraction of the amount of protein that they think they are getting. 

There are, however, protein shots that are 100% whey protein that people can use and be confident in. The "Yes Whey" is one of those.

If you have specific evidence that in the past 5 years they have found that hydrolyzed collagen has a PDCAAS score comparable to the whey proteins found in other types of protein supplements, I am certainly willing to read it, but I need better evidence than a study on mice.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 380 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 570 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 292 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 380 views