Meds After Upcoming Knee Surgery

jujubee4224
on 6/8/12 7:40 pm
RNY on 04/09/12
I had both of my knees replaced in 2009. The anesthesiologist gave me a femoral block on top of the general anesthesia that they used. Although I still had post of pain, it was much more tolerable that without it. Ask your doctor or anesthesiologist about this option. It lasts for the better part of a day or more.

Cindyagogo
on 6/8/12 8:46 pm
RNY on 02/21/12
I am also on track for a knee replacement. I just saw the surgeon and she asked about having NSAIDS via injection. Anyone have experience with that form? or is that a no no, too. I see the WLS team on Tuesday and i will ask then, just curious if anyone here has been treated that way.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/9/12 4:55 pm - OH
It does not matter what route you take an NSAID via... The risk of ulcers is the same because the problem is not wih the pills touching your pouch or stomach, it is the action of the drug (it thins the stomach lining) once it gets into your blood stream.  So intravenous NSAIDs are also "out" (and that includes Toradol, which is frequently given as a pain killer in the ER.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Heidi T.
on 6/9/12 3:00 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
 I had a lat release with debreevement preop and did not need much for pain meds post op. I was able to walk out of the hospital after surgery, and was on tramadol post op and that was plenty. Good luck you will do fine.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Heidi T.
on 6/9/12 3:02 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
 also you can do flector patches, yes they are an nsaid however, they are a localized one that very little if any goes into the blood stream (per my md and surgeon) so they can be used. (I have really bad knee issues) also Ice and heat will help. There is a gel (cant remeber the name) that you can buy from pt that will help to reduce pain and swelling

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/9/12 4:56 pm - OH
Voltaren is probably the gel you are thinking of.  It didn't do diddly squat for my arthritis knee pain, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

owlisn
on 6/10/12 11:15 am - NC
owlisn
on 6/10/12 11:17 am, edited 6/9/12 11:17 pm - NC
Heidi, your comments give me hope. I have a good friend who did not do as well as you, but between the two of you I have a good reference point for what I might feel like. I have plenty of Flector patches too from my back (pre-surgery.)

Sounds like you had a good experience with the surgery? I am looking for any feedback. I am trying to minimize my time away from work as I am trying to get a promotion. How is your knee now in comparison? Did the release help the knee tracking?

I am not looking for 100% but would like to be able to do stairs without pain.
Allison

Heidi T.
on 6/10/12 11:40 am
RNY on 01/31/12
 Well my knee cap is totaly messed up but it is from  a changing table falling off the wall with my kid in it and me catching both on my my (meed it up for life). Surgery did help quit a bit. My knee is now functional the tracking is much better. you may want to ask for a J brace to use while your knee is healing (it craddels the cap and ensures tracking) also helps with comfort. The gel I was talking about is biofreeze, I find it works well. Here is some info on it http://www.biofreeze.com/ . Knee surgery lap is not really hard to recover from. I would say if you have surgery on Friday you may be able to return to work on Monday/tuesday of the following week. I guess it depends what your pain tolerance is.  Have you tried injections?  I do arthrovisc and they help sooo much they stop the rubbing of bone on bone hurt going in but hey when your always in pain whats a little bit more? Stairs and biking still hurt a bit, but my knee cap is cracked so that what i expect.  You will feel alot better after surgery just attempt to relax and reserch your surgeon make sure they have a great rep.

rny 1/30/12              
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 562 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 551 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 151 views
Recent Topics