Coffee--nectar of the gods or elixir of the debil? Lets discuss coffee post RNY!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/5/12 9:09 am

I drink two cups a day, and sometimes three cups on weekends. I drink water with any drink I have, so I get over 100 ounces of non caloric, non caffeinated beverages a day. I'm hydrated.

And I have found that for me, coffee is an appetite suppresant, not a stimulant. It doesn't irritate me in any way. I could drink a cup of coffee before going to bed. I drink it because I love it.

I don't remember what Dr. Surgeon, et al said about coffee. Maybe one of his newer postops will read and remind me. I figure coffee is the closest thing I have to a vice, and as vices go, it's pretty mild.

If it starts to bother me, I'll cut back or quit. I don't think coffee is the demon it is sometimes portrayed as.

cajungirl
on 9/5/12 9:31 am
I drink FULL leaded and have since 3 months post-op.  It's my "vice" since surgery, although I did drink coffee before surgery NEVER to the extreme I do now. 

There could be concerns on an individual basis as to drinking full leaded coffee, namely it makes some hungry (not me it makes me NOT want to eat).  Also if you (general) are susceptible to ulcers coffee could really aggravate the ulcer.  Supposedly it can become a diuretic (doesn't affect me at all) and can cause additional dehydration issue.

Only you can decide if it's something you want to enjoy.  I pray I never have issues with it because I'll be devastated to have to give it up.  I had no problem ditching sodas, coffee yikes the thought scares me.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

artroxy blue
on 9/5/12 10:15 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I usually get decaf, but today I made the mistake of NOT ordering decaf. I could feel my pouch starting to rumble within minutes. Thankfully, no diarrhea this time, but it makes me more aware of making sure I order decaf. I don't need an "accident" while I'm out. LOL

I am allowed one regular cup of coffee per day, and the rest decaf. However, I've switched over to decaf full-time, and I feel better. I was a coffee/caffeine ***** pre-op, so I've already gone through the withdrawals, headaches, etc.

If drinking regular coffee works for you, go for it. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of non-caffeinated beverages, too. ;)
jmjm55077
on 9/5/12 11:47 am - MN
I've been able to modify all my eating habits but coffee...I just can't quit it...so I settle by only drinking one coffee a day...low fat (120 calories)...I've confessed this to my doctor...He told me the reason they don't want WLS folks drinking caffiene is because they become dehydrated...which many RNY people suffer from...

This however, hasn't affected me so I get a cup a day...would rather skip eating than my morning coffee:-) ...and my doctor says he's okay with moderation if there are no side bad affects...
jane   

tulips52
on 9/5/12 11:48 am
 My Dr suggests not drinking it for the first 6 weeks. After that, he said it was fine and might even help with the constipation issue. (I have had an ulcer previously... a few yrs before my surgery. ) I enjoy my protein coffee every morning!!! 

sassygurl
on 9/5/12 11:56 am - Wasaga Beach, Canada
I drink coffee daily. Not more than one or two a day. I did have a marginal ulcer along the staple line in my stomach. My surgeon was aware that I drink coffee, but she said that didn't cause the ulcer nor would it aggravate it. It's just a side effect of the surgery. Like anything else in life, moderation is the key! She let me continue to drink my beloved coffee!
Kelly L.
on 9/5/12 1:12 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 I am not discounting what your surgeons plan says however... At some point we all make choices regarding our health that differ from what our medical providers would want us to do. That being said, you have to make the decision that works for you. 
Less than two months after my RNY I was diagnosed with four ulcers. It sucked! But, I was not drinking coffee of any sort, nothing with caffeine at that time. It was just one of those things :) Now, ten months out I drink Click coffee every morning. Sometimes twice a day. I pay close attention to how my gut feels and weigh the benefit of getting that protein against the risk of developing another ulcer. For me, it's the right choice. Whichever direction you go just remember that you have to live with it and accept the accountability for the outcome. Also, you may at some point have to admit it to your surgeon lol.

HW 274. CW 129

tinamarie_125
on 9/5/12 1:52 pm
 God...I love coffee...and this time of year they are coming out with all the yummy pumpkin creamers. But, it hurts my tummy. I have had a few ulcers since surgery and I think that's why my stomach hurts from it. So I only have a few sips on occasion.
Amy D.
on 9/5/12 2:24 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Thanks for responding everyone! I can see that I am in good company here, lol!

I am certainly not going to ever willy nilly ignore medical advice from my doctor but I feel that this was one of those gray areas that required some real world investigation so thanks for the different view points.

For me coffee does not stimulate my hunger and in fact when I drink it, I am less hungry and I don't add a ton of calories through cream or anything like that unless I'm adding some protein and soy milk. Now soda is one thing I will never be able to touch again. I have every idea that if I went back to that evil concoction that it would be certain disaster! But we all have to identify our weaknesses.

Thanks again. This is good stuff! If anyone is still reading, how about shouting out how you like your coffee?

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/5/12 7:44 pm
We were told "no coffee, no caffeine" during our nutrition classes.  When pressed on the subject the dietitian said, "No coffee or caffeine for 6 months."  At my 6 month appointment I asked if I could have 1 cup of regular coffee in the morning.  I was told I could have 2.  I normally switch to decaf or Crystal Light after lunch anyway.

Winnie

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 72 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??