Buyer Beware - I feel duped by Dunkin Donuts

Dee.spunk
on 11/12/12 7:30 am - Sacramento, CA
Wow! I'd be mad! Plus I dump with very little sugar, so I'd be doubly mad. I'd call and complain.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

AnniesSS
on 11/12/12 8:39 am
RNY on 09/11/12

What they did was add flavoring to the coffee in store. However, the coffee you brought home is soaked in flavoring and is not as rich.

I'm sorry that most of you are surprised by how bad this drink is, but I'm not shocked in anyway!  Any drink you buy that is flavored is going to have some sweetener in it.  Yes, it's true that the clerk misinformed you about it having now sugar and they need to be taught that syrup is a sugar! :(

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

Kat Kat
on 11/12/12 1:17 pm - AZ
Kat Kat
on 11/12/12 1:18 pm, edited 11/12/12 1:36 pm - AZ

It's great you're in the know about these things, but how is the average person supposed to know the difference, and not be surprised? We're standing on the other side of the counter, or we're at the drive up, so unless we're watching every move how would we know? The bagged flavor doesn't have syrup, so what would make the average person think they're adding something different to the coffee you buy prepared in the store? I do think it's surprising  that I asked a very simple question of a person who is supposed to know their job, and did not receive the correct answer.  From another post it seems to be a systemic issue that involves more than one employee. I think it's shocking that DD risks the health of their customers, but even if they don't give a damn about  RNYers,  Diabetics, or anyone else who needs to lose weight, they might at least consider that they risk damaging their brand, by not being clear with their labeling, and training. This is a bit bigger than a simple oopsie, time to retrain one person. DD really needs to address this before someone winds up in the hospital.  :(

Kat

Turtle Lynn
on 11/12/12 8:40 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

OH. . .MY. . GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seriously?!?!?!?

I drink them all of the time and I AM DIABETIC!!!  Gee, guess that explains where the spike in my sugars is coming from and why the scale has stopped moving. . .I don't need more Metformin, I need to stop drinking pumpkin coffee from Dunkin Donuts!!!!! cheeky

I did the same thing, I asked if the pumpkin coffee was sugar-free, was told yes, and so I got a hot pumpkin coffee, and have been hooked ever since!  I always get a large with Splenda, so I am adding Splenda on top of the 45 gm of sugar that is already in there. . .WOW. . .good thing I don't dump on sugar!!!! 

I never thought to Google it; I asked at two different stores and was told it was sugar-free, so I took them at their word.  I thought I was eating too many complex carbs and that was making my sugar spike because I have several of these pumpkin coffees a week.. . .guess it's not the food.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Okay, now I am totally bummed. . .no more hot pumpkin coffee for me unless I brew it at home or get it from Wawa 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Kat Kat
on 11/12/12 1:35 pm, edited 11/12/12 1:35 pm - AZ

How terrible for you to have been struggling with your sugar, and not know what was causing the spikes. Hopefully now you can get it under control.

I really depended on the attendant knowing their job. I worked in a coffee/donut shop in high school, and it wasn't like rocket science.

I'm with you on missing it though. It was really good. I suppose that should have been the first clue it wasn't healthy. :(

Kat

swoozieq67
on 11/12/12 7:19 pm - MI
RNY on 04/25/12

Dunkin Donuts almost killed me! I went there over the summer when I was about 4 months post op. I asked twice to make sure if the the plain coffee coolatta had any sugar in it. I was told no by the manager and the person at the counter. I took a sip and knew right then and there that I was in big trouble...my husband took it back inside and he brought me an iced black coffee.

When I got home I had to google it! I was in shock at the amount of sugar that was in that small frozen drink.

BTW, Torani makes a Pumpkin Pie flavored SF syrup that is wonderful in your coffee. Maybe you should try that?

Kat Kat
on 11/13/12 11:59 am - AZ

Wow, that's awful! Thanks for the heads up on the Torani. :)

Denise K.
on 11/16/12 1:33 am - Sicklerville, NJ

The DD's by me all have a disclaimer that the Pumpkin coffee has sugar, etc., in it...unlike the normal "flavors" they have (hazelnut, etc that are just flavors, not syrups) the pumpkin and mocha and caramel all have sugar and other things in them.

Boo to the person who told you there's no sugar in it :( sorry to hear it!

Most Active
Recent Topics