Question about crushing pills?

sdn2013
on 8/18/13 12:04 am - TX
RNY on 09/04/13 with

I specifically asked my doctor about this as well since I take several pills and he said there was no reason I wouldn't be able to take them even in the hospital.  I asked my Registered Dietician as well and he said the same thing.  They only advised that I might need to slit large pills in half.

poet_kelly
on 8/18/13 12:08 am - OH

And that's what the ASMBS says, as well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

_nicky_
on 8/18/13 12:59 am - OK
RNY on 06/25/13

I was directed to have chewable forms of meds that were over the size of an m&m for the first six weeks. However, I had some multi vitamins that I wanted to use and a couple times they ended up getting stuck in my stoma and caused me to foam and puke. It sucked. And hurt. So I switched to chewables. I've not had a problem with any of the other pills I take though which are generally smaller. I don't think I could pull off the crushed med thing. Gag. 

5'6"   HW: 297   SW: 274   CW: 194   GW: 135

Total loss: 103 lbs    Surgery loss: 80 lbs    Left to lose: 59 lbs

Katie K.
on 8/18/13 6:46 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I started taking a regular multi (whole) around six weeks. I just couldn't stand the chewables any longer.

_nicky_
on 8/18/13 9:04 am - OK
RNY on 06/25/13
I actually love the chewables haha. Glad you found something you like!

5'6"   HW: 297   SW: 274   CW: 194   GW: 135

Total loss: 103 lbs    Surgery loss: 80 lbs    Left to lose: 59 lbs

PetHairMagnet
on 8/18/13 1:22 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I totally agree with your post...and my surgeon does, too. I could not swallow pills until the day after surgery and it took me a while to get them all down, but he's against crushing pills and tells you not to do so unless you cannot swallow a pill normally. Some pills cannot be crushed or opened and it is dangerous or ineffective to do so. I sure hope these 'crushers' are aware of the rules of their pills!

My former calcium pills were really large (I am now on chewable) and even they never got stuck, they just made me feel full. And I have never seen a larger pill for humans than those calcium pills!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 8/18/13 1:23 am - OH

A couple weeks after my RNY I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia and they had me on potassium pills and those were the biggest pills I've ever seen.  Bigger than calcium pills.  I had to have the nurses cut them in half and even half was still big.  But I was able to swallow them and they never caused any problems.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 8/18/13 4:12 am - Brighton, IL

My doctor told us we could swallow whole pills the size of am m and m or smaller and cut the others in half for the first two weeks.. I never had any problems even with large pills. I would gag if I had to crush them!

kinny09
on 8/18/13 4:20 am, edited 8/18/13 4:21 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I don't fully understand the logic of it either...I crushed them the first day in the hospital post op (I needed to take my fluoxetine even though I hadn't started the vitamins while still in hospital). On day 2 post op I asked the nurse if I could take my meds normally as the taste was really getting to me and she said it was fine. They just said to cut in half anything large (or quarters) but for most it's a non-issue...I don't cut any of my vitamins, not even my Centrum Silver which is kinda thick. It bothers my thyroid nodules (feels stuck in my throat for a few seconds) more than anything actually (I have a multi-nodular goiter and it's quite enlarged) but never my pouch was bothered...

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Bibo
on 8/18/13 5:49 am

I take about 17 pills  a night, not counting vitamins. Prior to surgery I could pop the whole bunch of them in my hand and a gulp of water, down the hatch done. After reading comments here, I can see where it makes sense to take them one at a time after bypass, because, while maybe one or two pills might not get stuck, a handful could. And be unpleasant.  At the same time, I am not quite  four months out, and have a hard time, not so much with the size of the pill, but the massive amounts of water it takes to take all those pills at the same time. open some of them I cut, one or two I open and dump into my liquid vitamins, since i take at the same time, and some I just take regular.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 245 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 311 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views