Difference in "work" between WLS diet and traditional diet for weight loss

karin602
on 10/17/13 9:13 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Definitely the smaller portions help plus not feeling physical hunger  Don't count on rapid weight loss though.  Some of us are slow losers - me included,  At almost 3 months post I have lost about 30 pounds but had lost almost 60 before and went into surgery at 220 rather than some who go in with more than that  Exercise is great and I'm missing it with a bout of vertigo.  I don't know how far you are in the process but use your time to make changes now.  My NUT also recommends a book The Emotional Guide to Weight Loss Surgery.  Its available on Kindle as well as in print.  Big decision made better with as much info as you can get.  Good luck on your journey.

Karin

E R.
on 10/17/13 9:56 pm - Switzerland

I am 4.5 months post-op and I am quite surprised  I can eat anything and in sizeable portions. I live in Switzerland and the Doctors here believe in balanced meals, so carbs should be included in every meal. I felt restrictions up to 2 months after the Op, but then I started feeling hungry. I never feel full, and I am still evaluating if this is a "head" issue - not sure. 

One of the main reasons I had the surgery was to change my eating habits, which I never had enough discipline for. The 1st 2 months definitely helped me with this, since I could eat very little (we eat from day 2 post-op solid food) and  was restricted to what I could eat.  After my 2nd month visit to the NUT, I was told to increase my food as needed till a half a plate of food after 1year. Very vague and no guidance on calories. 

What is different is that I am very conscious of what I eat. I eat 3 meals and 2 - 3 snacks. I eat every 2-3 hours to ensure that I do not get too hungry. I ensure that I get more than 60 g of protein per day. I read labels, which I never did before. I track my food on my fitness pal. If I have pizza, I only eat 2slices where I had a big one before the surgery. I try to eat healthier.

i believe that the rapid weight loss, even for slower losers is a big motivation. It is incredible to see the change in your body and clothes. It is wonderful to get compliments and it is incredible to feel so much lighter and healthier. Not feeling guilty about always overeating, is a big weight of my shoulders. This is all a positive reinforcement for me.

I am however also conscious about the fact that food will always be my achilles heal. I still want to eat when I am bored, stressed or out of habit. I realise that surgery is just the beginning of my journey and that it is going to be a life long process.

RNY:  4 June 2013

noway2
on 10/17/13 10:01 pm
RNY on 09/26/13

As others have said, not being hungry with small portions of food and forcing you to live by a more regimented approach.

Lucy S.
on 10/18/13 5:47 am
RNY on 03/18/14 with

Thank you all so much for your responses! You have all really helped me see what the other side of this surgery will be like. What a great community of people to be able to reach out to!

HW: 263  CW:245  GW: 140 

Most Active
Recent Topics