Low ferritin level?

poet_kelly
on 11/1/13 4:14 am - OH

I personally think we should take the amount recommended by the ASMBS unless our labs show we need more.  They recommend a total of 54 to 63 mg elemental iron for menstruating women and 36 mg for everyone else.

By the way, to aid with the absorption of iron, we only need 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron.  So you could take a much smaller dose of C with that Bariatric Advantage  iron, or at least cut the C you are taking in half, which would save you money.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bbearsmama
on 11/1/13 1:23 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

Hi there-just wanted to say that I have to get iron infusions.  I go in to get one in about a week so I will get the details of my labs. I just had my labs done and the nurse told me that I will need 4.  I was having trouble with iron before surgery but the hematologist says that it's worse now because of absorption issues.  I do take the carbonyl. Anyway-if you need to go the infusion route-it is no biggie at all! I just sit in the recliner for about 1.5 hours and relax! Of course-it's better to NOT have to do it but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it all was!

I hope it gets better!

Hugs,

Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

lafalot
on 11/2/13 7:12 am - Chesterfield, VA
RNY on 10/16/13

I was told to take my iron with something acidic to help increase absorption. I had thought this was because the acid helped break the pill up, but maybe it was about the Vit. C.  Can I just take a Vit. C pill with the iron and get the best benefit?

QoftheU
on 12/5/13 1:47 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
There you are Lafalot! I've sent you numerous PM's to check on you! Last we conversed you were about a week away from surgery - how did it go??? How are you doing??? PM me when you get a chance - I was concerned that something had gone wrong... glad to see that's not the case!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

emmykins132000
on 11/4/13 10:15 pm
My ferritin level is currently at 9. I take a ferritin supplement bug don't know that it's doing the trick. Working on it either my doc now. Good luck

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 167 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics