Not to be grim - BUT newbies... HEED THE WARNING!

prochef65
on 12/31/13 11:27 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 01/14/14
Thx for the warning. I'm curious as to whether u have any history of addiction personally or within your family? Is having the surgery a cause or is it the result of a mental issue due to going from obese to "hot" in a short period of time?
2_be_me_again
on 1/1/14 12:26 am

Hi...

No addiction prior or within my family history.  Interesting way to look at it....  After reading and watching youtube videos for a whole week and seeing what others are experiencing.. I think my situation started off because I was Ms. social butterfly - going out very regularly.  I believe I was concious in my choice of wine.  I figured wine was the least damaging so I thought.  Its funny how I rationalize things in my head to make it make sense in the end.  I don't believe it's the surgery that turned me into an alcoholic.  Even though that's what studies are showing.  I believe my situation stems from the following:

1. Stopped going to support groups
  2. Experienced a major life issue which led to depression which led to cope w/ wine
  3. I pushed people away and became a hermit crab in my house
  4. Boredom = routine

Before surgery I was a major foodie.  After surgery - I hate to eat...it's such a task to find things that I actually want to eat, plus I'm lazy - I don't cook so I eat fast food when I do. 

I honestly rationalized... "I rather drink my calories (wine) then eat food".  I never once forgot about the surgery or the principals.  I was just STUPID to think I could abuse alcohol and still maintain a viable life without consequence.

Good luck with your surgery!  I'm sure you'll do well!!!

Don't forget...support groups are lifetime necessities! 

Happy New Year...

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/1/14 12:06 am

Hugs!  Wishing you best in new year!  

I can relate to a point! I drank alcohol before RNY but only once in a while and only in social settings. I used to have as whole bar stocked with very nice booze from all over the world.  A bottle of Brandy would last me 3-4 years..it was no Issue for me.  But things change after RNY.  I started drinking more with each hernia - alcohol would relax the spasms and would stop the pain after eating solid food.  Then there was anemia, and lack of energy and depression... Before I knew it - all my reserves were gone and I started buying more. Initially I would have one drink with meal some nights... That progressed to more... When I realized that I was drinking a bottle of wine an evening if I had wine at home I knew it was time to stop.  I still drink some ... But I can't have booze in my house when I am there alone.  When we have parties I may drink some wine diluted with diet tonic... (4+ parts tonic 1 part wine) .  

At the same time I know I am one step away from being an alcoholic.  RNY changed how my body processes alcohol. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

2_be_me_again
on 1/1/14 10:40 am

Thank you for your reply.  Yep - "progression" is the word!  If anyone had of asked me if I had an addiction of any kind prior to surgery - my anwser would was NO!  It's hard for me to consider being a foodie an addiction.  But I could be just rationalizing again.  I don't believe we GB folks should ever touch booze.  I recognized my problem last year and said to myself, I can maintain a balance.  I can contain this and stop when I want.  I did - for about a month and then something happened called "life" and it led me back to the bottle - this time... I didn't stop.

I don't mean to be so direct - but you said you are one step away from being an alcoholic - right.  I would like to recommend you visit - http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/learn-about-alcohol/alcohol-abuse-self-test

TAKE THE TEST.   I'm interested to know your results if you do.

I would really like to keep in touch with you.

I sent a request.

Thank you again for your note... means a lot.  Be well my dear...

HAPPY NEW YEAR

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/14 1:17 am

I will say I was a pretty big drinker about two years ago.I would go through a bottle of whiskey in two weekends.My life revolved around alcohol and food.I had my surgery in October and I haven't had alcohol. This Christmas I realized something.I was watching Christmas movies and I was like I don't remember that part.Well I was drunk when I would watch them before.I had to take a good look at myself and I came to terms I did have a drinking problem.I am not going to say I am embarrassed.I am just being honest.Thank you for posting.Well all we can do is move on and take care of ourselves.Happy New Year.

2_be_me_again
on 1/1/14 10:45 am

Thank you so much for your note!  Congrats on your success thus far!  I read your story briefly and wanted to ask what your parents said when they saw you for Christmas?

Keep your life on track...don't ever go back to drinking my friend!

Happy New Year!

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/14 10:59 am

I just told them I am taking care of myself.They were like holy crap.I talked to my mom three days later and she asked what I did to lose.I told her that I started to go to a nutritionist for two years and out of her mouth came I guess you just started to listen to her.So there is the reason I didn't tell my parents.It was a great Christmas though

Tracy Ta Da
on 1/1/14 2:20 am - Hurst, TX

Post surgery long timer and was a frequent poster and support group

event attendee and I stopped.  My story is different than yours but similar too. I went way off track. I just had my revision and I plan on making it work this time. I feel more mature.  More in control and grounded than I did ten years ago.  Thank you for posting your story and please let me know if you want to get together for some non-alcoholic fun.  I need to pick up with a support group of people in similar situations as myself.  

Tracy ta da

Thanks!

Tracy
Start 336
Surgery Dec 2003

Gained back up to 277.  Revision planned to resolve jejunum diverticulitis. Post revision completed 12/2013

2_be_me_again
on 1/1/14 10:50 am

Hi Tracy -

The secret to our success is SUPPORT GROUPS!!!!!!!  I would love to be apart of your support group.  I'll send you are request now. 

BTW - I'm super jealous of your revision!  LOL   

I'm sure you know the right things to do to achieve success this time!   NO FAIR!!!  LOL LOL LOL

Have a great NEW YEAR full of WOWs and HAPPINESS!

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

cajungirl
on 1/1/14 4:38 am

Sorry you are dealing with this. Unfortunate though it may be, you accept you need to change things that is such a positive move for you. 

As we see more and more post-ops discuss alcoholic problems I hope others use these posts as a precaution because it can happen to any of us. 

Best wishes on positive changes for 2014. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views