When Does Normal Start?

Bonnie250
on 8/30/14 11:41 am
RNY on 08/25/14

I had surgery 3 days after you on the 25th. everything i have heard about appetite loss, and being so unable to eat anything has NOT been MY case. from the afternoon of the surgery, i was hungry. The next day i had clear liquids, and the next, and the next....my  post op bypass friends told me " oh, i have to remind myself to eat," and "i hardly have an appetite anymore"  and,"it took me all day to eat a little jello cup" well this was NOT my experience at all, i had dieted the month before surgery with very little food, the week before surgery I was starving....(YES I KNOW I AM *****ING)  so here i am 5 days out of surgery, and i feel hungry. Do i stop after a few ounces of food? OF COURSE! I have to, because i dont want to dump. but I ask the same thing? where is my normal? when does it start? am i going to be going around hungry constantly? because if so, It makes me wonder if i could have just dieted my way down....I doubt i wouldve been successful, but i still feel deprivation and hunger. I hope this gets better. I cant wait to get to "soft foods" and "pureed"....so much for ANY of my hunger and appetite changing....which totally sucks.... SORRY for the RANT. so i get how iHeartTeas feels. ARRRGGGH

Bonnie

Braceface
on 8/30/14 11:57 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

I remember feeling like something must be wrong shortly after surgery because I was hungry and did not get a full feeling from my whole liquid diet. But boy did that change when I moved to soft solids.   The first time I threw up after a few bites of fish because my belly felt stuffed was the sign that I have a normal pouch.

good luck

iHeartTeas
on 8/30/14 10:06 pm

I hear ya Bonnie and wish you the best. I'm at the point where I just want to be able to drink water like I used to. I wonder if I'll ever get past the sips. It's terrible because I am thirsty and hungry but my stomach won't allow it. I start to feel pain and nausea right away. The month everyone is telling me about seems so far away.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/31/14 12:00 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I remember feeling the same way.  I had always gulped water  --- I could down a 20 oz in a few gulps... so this aspect after surgery was really disconcerting.  AND, a couple times I forgot, I felt a terrible pain in my chest.  It felt like I couldn't get in enough to satisfy my thirst because it was so hard to drink.  I really thought it would be that way forever.

I am happy to tell you that I can drink just like I used to now.  I can gulp water -- lol.  I can't remember exactly when that happened -- but it's been a while.  Of course, I can't promise you that you will be exactly the same, but I think the odds are good.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

greengoddess550
on 8/31/14 5:40 am

I just had mine on 08/27/14.  I know exactly how you feel.  The way I think about it is - once I can get back to work, and back into a routine, then things will get back on track. 

iHeartTeas
on 8/31/14 9:28 pm

I hope you are right. It is just such a hard road.

Most Active
Recent Topics