how long were you off work?

Mama2prettygirls
on 4/23/15 3:12 am

Please update on how your return to work went! I'm Planning on having RNY in June and work 12 hour NOCs as a NICU RN. My doc says 2 weeks but not sure he understands the nature and intensity of my work! 6 weeks sounds way more realistic!!! How are you fairing now that you're back???

trsinhawaii
on 4/23/15 5:07 am

The first night I went back was not the greatest.  Since I had been off and sleeping through the night, I had a rough time not getting tired.  I do believe it was good for me to get started again, though.  I am still having mixed emotions.  I cannot say that I regret the surgery, but it is difficult to plan meals around working and making sure I get in the protein.  Water, still not a problem with that.  In fact, when I went back, my water intake was much easier, I got thirstier.  It is just hard to plan, I think.  But eating at night time, and figuring out how much to eat and when has always been an issue for me.  I have been on the night shift for five years.  After the first night things have been easier.  I see your doc said you can go back in two weeks.  I can honestly say there is NO WAY I would have been able to do that.  And I work in geriatrics.  I cannot imagine NICU and going back in two weeks.  What my job did was send my job description with me when I went to see the surgeon.  Maybe you can take along one so that he/she can get a good idea of what your job entails.  Just my two cents :)  

Moogum73104
on 4/1/15 10:17 pm
RNY on 02/02/15 with

3 weeks

chulbert
on 4/2/15 12:06 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

The surgeon insisted on two weeks plus one day but I felt well enough to go back to work in one week.  I have a desk job.

Jay D.
on 4/2/15 1:23 am

2 weeks, but I wish I had done 3. I felt fine, but it was stressful going back to work & starting soft foods diet at the same time. In a perfect world, I would've gotten used to soft foods & had myself more in order before returning. Alas, it worked out anyway, but I'm not doing the best job with squeezing meals in.

twinmom914
on 4/2/15 5:51 am

Rny on 3/12, back to work on 3/23. I wanted sooner, but dr said no. I did feel a little tired the first two days, but it's been another week now and I feel good. co-workers are really supportive. desk job also

RNY - 11/18/14 2 hr info class, 11/20/14 referred to GB, 12/4/14 phone interview w/psych, 12/16/14 4 hr orientation, 12/30/14 hr psych visit, 12/30/14 visit with surgeon & given goal weight of 248, 12/31/14 nutrition class HW 257 Dec2014, SW 3/12/15 243

shackleford
on 4/2/15 9:52 am

I find myself among the minority but I took 9 days off and could have easily returned a few days earlier. I work retail so my surgery leave was covered by FMLA but was unpaid so I'm very thankful how quickly I bounced back. 

lynnc99
on 4/3/15 3:34 am

Yep, 2 weeks for me. Definitely not till you see your doc! And even then, be prepared for more fatigue than normal. It takes a while to build up your stamina, more than you might think!

caliannie
on 4/6/15 5:06 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

My surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday and I'm taking 3 weeks off work going back on May 4th. I wanted a week to recover from surgery and a couple of weeks to progress from clear liquids to full liquids without having to think about what to take for lunch. I am also getting my masters and only taking a couple of days off from school. I can do about 80% online so that should help. I work in an office and am up and down quite a bit but hope that will actually be a benefit to encourage me to keep moving.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

healthy2be
on 4/11/15 1:58 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I'm getting the laparoscopic RNY surgery on May 1st (Yay!!!!!) and last week when I had my final meeting with my surgeon I asked how long I should take off work.  I reminded him that my full time job was as a Home Health Nurse and my part time job was as a Nursing Home Nurse.  Both jobs require me to be able to lift 50 lbs occasionally and turn and support patient weighing up to 150 lbs frequently.  He said that I could return in a week.  Am I wrong or does that not quite sound long enough?  I've told both employers that I will try to return in 2 weeks unless I have complications.  I'm not trying to be lazy or milk the situation, but I'm concerned about pushing myself too hard too fast.  Am I just being silly or is this a valid concern?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 107 views
Recent Topics