Alcohol

MickeyDee
on 4/9/15 12:55 pm

I found that if I had even a full glass of wine soon after surgery (within a year) I got really drunk, really fast.  I would recommend partaking at home first, with a friend/sig other, just to see how you react.

Transfer Addiction is REAL.  I have at least two wls friends who are suffering it now, and have seen people on this site who have had to deal with huge credit card debt or wild sexual behavior outside of their normal relationships.

I have only had a partial beer or glass of wine twice in the past year, and don't really miss it.

Racewalker48
on 4/9/15 1:06 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

My surgeon suggested to avoid it altogether, due to the fact that it is empty calories and that after RNY, one becomes hypersensitive to the effects. 

christinerocks
on 4/10/15 12:32 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

My surgeon says 1 year.  Everyone's advice differs slightly. I'm planning to avoid it until I'm at goal weight but you have to make the best choice for you. 

Charles_TM
on 4/10/15 12:48 am

At the risk of angering the masses....

Had some wine at 2 months or so. It was a small bottle or so, not too strong and not too much of it. I've been handling a lot of things well, so figured I would give it a shot. 

If you do end up drinking though just take it easy. Take your time and drink gradually and limit yourself. 

Gwen M.
on 4/10/15 2:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Agreed with Grim - whenever you want to stop losing weight.  And whenever you want to start battling transfer addiction.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kathyjs
on 4/10/15 3:20 am

My surgeons answer was' I didn't do this surgery to ruin your liver. So I don't drink.

Karen M.
on 4/10/15 3:30 am - Mississauga, Canada

Many docs give differing opinions on this, you'd have to check with yours to be sure. A couple of things to keep in mind when you're deciding: Your liver is already working triple-time after surgery with the rapid weight loss, alcohol does add an additional stress to it but... please also know that you are basically assaulting your liver with every drink you take (and every Tylenol you take along with several other meds that you didn't realize were so terribly hard on your liver).

I'm 9 years post-op and I *think* I had a first drink about 6 months after surgery and it was okay and I only drank very rarely. Until I didn't. Fast forward to 2013 and I was in the hospital and on the liver transplant list, fighting to live 'til tomorrow. RNY + Tylenol + Cymbalta + too many "social drinks" killed my liver and in retaliation, my liver tried to take me out with it. I wish I'd never done any of those things (except RNY, I will never regret that, ever), but hindsight is 20/20 as they say. :)

Choose wisely, be careful.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

EP1958
on 4/13/15 1:47 am

My surgeon says 1 year.  I have tried Beer already and it doesn't taste good anymore plus the bubbles do not feel good.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 311 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 228 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 3 replies · 31 views
Recent Topics