Really considering no longer eating chicken and red meat

Zee Starrlite
on 9/3/15 12:41 pm

You are pretty early out, maybe you can't tolerate meat so well right now and why you don't have the taste for it. 

If you can mix up your protein sources that would be best.  Soy is a funny thing hormonally - some of us need to be careful and reports about soy flip flop all the time.  I just would not overdose on soy especially because of my lady parts - sometimes I think it affects ovulation etc.

The other thing is that the sodium in the Boca Burgers is off the chain - I am sure it is not just that brand.  And wait a minute, they add MSG and surprise fillers in them.

All best to you,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/15 9:14 am

Make your own falafel balls with mix you just add water to ... the main ingredient is chickpea flour .  That and a bit of rice pilaf is a complete protein meal ... 

There are wonderful recipes for back-bean veggie burgers for example too if you're sick of garbanzo flour.  Every bean tastes different in the burgers and you can spice them a hundred different ways too as well as adding different fresh veggies .  Good luck! 

Chickenboob
on 9/5/15 9:33 am - Rockland, Canada

I asked about this topic with my nutritionist. She mentioned that not all proteins are created equally. Even when it comes to protein powders there are different grades with protein concentrates being at the lower end of the quality spectrum vs a protein isolate, which is a better product.

I don't like protein powder so I filed the information as good to know. LOL

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/15 1:26 pm

I hate protein powder too .  I haven't had a protein shake in YEARS and see no adverse effects thank God . I keep thinking about your menu ... it sounds so ideal.  Have you tried eating MORE ?  I belong to the lightweights board and that suggestion was often made when a person stalled .  I took that and ran with it ( to the nearest  buffet in my case but I dont recommend that ) but it DID work .. really .  

In the long run I think the necessary next step at least for me is lipoing the empty fat cells and loose skin off .  I'm not patient with diets and have only a few hours a day to devote to working out .  I can't make maintaining  my body my only mission in life .

Chickenboob
on 9/5/15 1:52 pm - Rockland, Canada

I am just hoping for a breast reduction. I don't lose weight off of the boobs even when I was down to 194 I was busting out of an H cup. I am sure if i had a reduction I'd be down 10 pounds easy. If you are still early out from your surgery, give it time. I was never a big pork eater but it was the first meat I could tolerate and now I enjoy it. WOW that sounded so bad and I totally didn't mean it in "that" way.

I guess what I am saying is that I found my pallet changed I am now eating thing that I had to learn to love (cottage cheese, I am looking at you.... you too, Brussels sprouts!). Give it time and you may find things change. But even the vegans at work won't eat the processed Boca or Yves product very often.

I wish you the best in what you choose is best for you.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Catsi51
on 9/7/15 7:49 am

I'm a vegetarian and have not had my RNY yet - that's coming up Sept. 28th. I have however been working with the dietitian at the bariatric clinic I attend. She agrees that is it totally doable to eat a vegetarian diet after surgery and get all the protein and nutrients I will need, without relying heavily on faux meat products. I also must stick to a low carb way of eating and have found several low carb vegetarian cookbooks on Amazon.com and other sites. If you feel that you want to give up most meat products, that's great - but I would try to do it with more natural, unprocessed foods rather than relying on Boca, Morningstar or some of the other popular faux meat products. Good luck! What ever your reason is for skipping most meat - you will probably be healthier in the end! Unless you are buying meat from grass fed animals, that contains no hormones, steroids, antibiotics, etc - you are eating unbeliveable amounts of dangerous, unhealthy stuff! I know people don't like to hear that, but it is a fact none the less. Good luck and enjoy all the delicious veggie foods out there!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Catsi51
on 9/7/15 7:54 am

PS... while most faux meat products like Boca products don't have many more calories than their "real" meat counterparts - and in some cases LESS - they will have carbohydrate where as animals products don't - or have minimal amounts. So if you are following a low carb way of eating, you will definitely have to take that into account. As far as if it will stop you from losing weight, I don't know why it would? As long as you stay within the calorie or carb range you are working with, you should continue to lose, or so it seems to me. But then again, I'm not a dietitian or nutritionist. Perhaps you should see a dietitian just to make sure your new food preferences will work with your program.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Most Active
Recent Topics