Caffeine!

Eggface
on 10/27/15 11:26 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Programs vary but generally they want you to ax coffee for a month or so because of the potential irritation to an already irritated/healing area but most (if they aren't sadists LOL) allow it back in moderation when further along... I was cleared at 1 month for caffeine and have had no issues (day 3416)... in fact... the splashes of soy milk in my coffee add up to a nice amount a protein in a day and frankly I wouldn't drink as much water so since dehydration is one of the most common reasons for post-op hospital readmittance it works for me. As for the addictive nature of caffeine... well... Hi my name is Shelly ;) and I'm currently slurping a fully leaded cup of coffee.

Surgeons are given guidelines but a lot alter their programs "rules" based on anecdotal experience... when you try and find the science (actual peer reviewed studies) behind some of these rules there sometimes isn't much (or any.) Plus the "rules" are general... created for distribution so some individuals may have more or less... someone who chronically suffered with ulcers pre-op probably not going to be allowed/advised coffee post-op for example.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

jenorama
on 10/27/15 1:08 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

My program advises no caffeine at all, mainly for stomach irritation issues. I don't drink soda anymore and I did run into a problem with caffeine. It had turned into a bit of an addiction and I was having 3-4 cups of coffee a day for a few months. I know for some people, that's not a lot, but for me though, it caused gastritis. I don't think it progressed to a full-on ulcer, but I do know that after coming off of Prilosec and liming my coffee intake to 1 serving a day, I haven't had any stomach pain since.

I'd definitely stay away for as long as you can for your internal incisions to fully heal and after that take it easy and really be aware of how you feel. I did not make the caffeine/stomach ache connection for way too long!

Jen

hollykim
on 10/27/15 1:41 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 27, 2015 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, hpottker wrote:

I am a few months into my 6 mo pre-op diet and my next step is to cut out all caffeine. I am starting now, and it sucks! My question is - I have seen so many people talk about drinking coffee after surgery, why would one surgeon say no caffeine after surgery and others can have it?

they have different plans because they are different people with different ideas of what works,and not clones.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/15 6:58 pm

I have to live my life. My Physician can not live it for me.... My surgeon also recommended I stop all caffeine., an alternate was to go to decaf...did not demand, but recommended... when I was in my first month post op...the nutritionist asked me... and I told Him ... I have given up all but a protein shake three ounces of meat and three ounces of carbs... You are not messing with my coffeee. ..(.My pouch was tiny for almost 8 -12 weeks from the edema.)

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/15 7:11 pm

Sorry 'puter messed up before I finished...Some people who have difficult time with certain foods, find a sip of something warm will help a dry food to go down, instead of coming up...as it will if I get hidden fat, or fail to chew something as thoroughly as I should have.

Lots of things affect your taste.. and your desires for drink and food....it will change periodically...things you really like before surgery will no longer taste good, or will be just so -so.. things you don't like you may begin to crave... I did this with dill pickles for a while...couldn't get enough of the things, so they became my vegetable, when in transit. Stress can cause us to fall back on the unhealthy tools of before surgery. I have spent two years caring for my parents with a high level of constant care required.During that time. I drank 2 pots a day... don't recommend it, now I am back down to 3-5 cups most days, some days..1.. But I don't usually drink tea, cola, or juice.. jus****er , coffee and ice... and herbal supplements. one of which is for my intestinal health. Most of the time, I have no issue but if I get a flare of irritation, I go to ice and water, cold liquids, and herbals...until it is resolved..

Joytothemoon
on 10/28/15 5:51 pm
RNY on 12/14/15

My NUT said that is very irritating on the new pouch, can cause dehydration and ulcers, but after three months is pretty safe to reintroduce

Joytothemoon

Most Active
Recent Topics