Fitness and healthy eating- comparison of "then" and "now"

gibbygal
on 9/24/16 8:41 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I am at 7 months post op and I have an issue with gaining five pounds then going back down.  This has been since July 19th and the scale finally just dropped yesterday for the first time in months! I have been working out and I have to agree. Seems like my body just seems like it wants to hold more water when I work out harder.  My nut told me I might not be getting enough protein.  I am a mail carrier and I walk 10 miles a day at work. Then after work I go to the gym and do a few miles on the treadmill and the elliptical. The sixty grams of protein a day just wasn't enough for my body.  I have to take in more than that.  My blood tests confirmed it as well.  She said sometimes you will stall if you don't take in enough.  I am hoping that is my case.  So frustrating! 

Sunqueen15
on 9/24/16 3:55 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I hope you find your balance and are able to workout and lose at the same time. I'm at 6 months out now and my docs are warning me that weight loss will begin to slow.... I'm not looking forward to this in the least. I'm just continuing to eat as much protein as I can fit in, track my food choices, and keep up my fitness routine. Good luck to you! :-) 

Sunqueen15
on 9/24/16 3:56 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

Thanks everyone for your responses. I got some great reading material out of it and this is a good way for me to pass the time at work this weekend. lol  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if your body IS retaining water? Is there a way to resolve that?

summerset
on 9/24/16 11:21 pm

You don't have to do anything about it (unless the water retention is due to a serious medial condition like cardial or renal issues of cause). The body deals with it on its own.

MarieCeeJay
on 9/28/16 7:58 am

Sunqueen15 did your stall pass over yet? Are you still working out daily?

I have not seen a stall (THIS TIME), but certainly experienced it in the pass. I honestly do not know what makes the difference, though I've got plenty of speculation.

What types of exercises have you been doing?

I'm trying weight lifting this time, but only ten or less pounds with the dumbbells.

bodybuilding.com might have info that can help you determine why the stall is happening when lifting weights.

Good luck!!

Marie.

Sunqueen15
on 9/28/16 4:25 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

Thank you for asking Marie... when starting to exercise I weighed 175. Then I started fluctuating between 175-178 for the whole first week and a half. Yesterday, I saw 174.2!!! It was short lived though and today I was back up to 175.2.... I'm not sure how to handle this mentally or emotionally. I am so use to seeing the weight loss continuously that I'm getting nervous. I get that your scale goes up as you work out but when you work out religiously and don't stop, when does the darn scale start to move downward again?? My routine consists of cardio on the elliptical using a weight loss setting 4 days a week for 30 mins. 2 days a week with a personal trainer weight lifting for 30 mins. and 1 day of rest. I'm just trying to pay close attention to my body to see if clothes are fitting different and what not. I wish I would have started measuring myself right around the time of surgery. I guess it's never too late to start, considering I have 40+ lbs to lose yet. 

Renea 

MarieCeeJay
on 9/28/16 7:05 pm, edited 9/28/16 12:05 pm

Humm.... I'm no expert, so please don't quote me, but Renea it sounds like a plateau. Maybe this will give you some ideas. whatever the situation, hopefully your weight loss will pick back up quickly

• http://blog.riversidesurgicalweightloss.com/blog/bid/329467/Overcoming-a-Weight-Loss-Plateau-After-Bariatric-Surgery

blog.myfitnesspal.com/10-tips-to-overcome-a-weight-loss-plateau/

1. Adjust your calorie intake. As you lose weight, your metabolism can drop because your body requires less calories or "energy" to fuel a smaller you. ...

• This guy says basically it's all down to: eating less calories, burning more calories, or do a combination of both.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/weight-loss-plateau-myth-musc le-weighs-more-than-fat/   

Marie

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 313 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 110 views