"Lifelong Success After Bariatric Surgery"

amitydo
on 9/25/16 4:53 pm, edited 9/25/16 9:53 am

I understand protein absorption is improving all the time, week by week, month by month.  I think I will talk to my surgeon about this next month when I see him.  I am not too comfortable with all the protein I am eating!  Would much prefer soups and salads.  The thing is, I am still relying on Isopure and Unjury for protein, not meat.  I can still do that of course, as long as I am willing to pay for it, but it is pretty expensive and I am thoroughly sick of that too.!  I guess most bariatric patients wind up feeling that way.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/25/16 1:12 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Like you said, it depends on where you are in the process.

Sharon

Grim_Traveller
on 9/25/16 6:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On September 25, 2016 at 5:38 PM Pacific Time, amitydo wrote:

I asked my doctor and he said "Veggies first, then fruit, protein last."  He believes that the ability of our digestive systems to absorb protein increases back to normal after the first couple of months.  I do not want to eat too much protein, so I am counting on it.  

That is horrible, horrible advice. You would be hard pressed to find a successful postop who eats that way.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/25/16 1:11 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

1- A pound of cure is not especially for WLS, although the message can help people who are far out.

2- I think he is great about his general approach to this complicated subject.  I listened to his vidoes whenever I was feeling tempted and have recommended them to others.  They are well organized and short, so you don't have to listen to an hour of humming and hawing to get some useful info.  You can tell this doc is committed to this field and I always feel uplifted as a WLSer.  He understands how courageous we are.

3-He is trying to keep people away from calorie-dense but nutritionaly empty foods (ie most processed foods)

4- VERY HELPFUL FOR ME At the end of the How much weight will you lose he says:

In the end it is not about how much weight you lose, but about Establishing a healthy and happy relationship with food and your body. (almost a direct quote.)

This really hit me about 6-8 months after surgery when I was getting close to my goal weight and the newness of losing had worn offf and people were now used to a much thinner me.  This idea helped prepare me for the thinking that there are still many goals to acheive even atfer you get to your 'dream-over the moon-goal weight."  There is no BEFORE/AFTER.  If is THEN/NOW.

PS I have never met the dr, he is not paying me, so don't accuse me - I just find his stuff so very helpful.

Sharon

amitydo
on 9/25/16 4:51 pm

Dr. Weiner is a bariatric surgeon.  Most of his videos are about RNY and VSG!  He especially focuses on diet.  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/25/16 5:53 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

He treats obesity with and without surgery.   His  book is for both those who have had or not had WLS.  I got a couple copies of his book, and have given them away to friends who are not having WLS.  I'm not quite ready to eat all that volume at 19months post-WLS. When I am, I will be using his as a guide.

Half of his videos are for non-WLS.  I think that might make him a good long-term doc to follow-up with.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/the-pound-of-cure-program-2/

Sharon

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/26/16 9:20 am

I am 8.5 years postop. at goal. my my Doc goal and beyond. Good Blood work numbers. 

At one time I was trying to eat like that - but my protein numbers went down...and my iron tanked ( I needed iron infusions - 3) and .. I was gaining and my cravings were out of control... As a formerly OBESE person - my body LOVES carbs and if I eat too many - I crave even more... 

for me to lose at the point - I need proteins then fat..then add some non starchy veggies... no processed food... maybe some nut butter or nuts.. some - not all (the low carbs nuts), No alcohol or soda- even diet soda. 

i don't do shakes - unless I am sick for moore than a day or 2 and there is no way I can eat 60-80 gr proteins a day.  

I eat- chicken-red meat-fish.  I eat veggies- some, some days. and I eat some fruits. I don't eat the "protein bars" but I do have some pre made "meat - meal replacement bars (i.e Epic bars)" or I have Paleo nut bars as dessert -as a treat once in a while when losing, or more often while in maintenance when I need to increase carbs and calories.  I use the prepackaged food when i travel, or when I am running errands and i need something to hold me up until I can get a real meal. 

Once you get to goal - you can try to eat like that... and maybe you would be one of those people who can eat fruits in moderation...while maintaining good proteins and pother blood work. 

I know it did not work for me. ever..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 107 views
Recent Topics