Anti-inflammatory alternatives???

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/22/17 11:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sadly, there's not any good scientific evidence that turmeric is any good for inflammation. Any research that's found that has only been in animals or in a petri dish, and has not been proven in humans :(

Quote--

• There is little reliable evidence to support the use of turmeric for any health condition because few clinical trials have been conducted.
  • Preliminary findings from animal and other laboratory studies suggest that a chemical found in turmeric--called curcumin--may have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antioxidant properties, but these findings have not been confirmed in people.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 3/22/17 6:48 am, edited 3/21/17 11:50 pm - Burleson, TX

I agree with the Ice vs Heat. At the very least, alternate the ice with the heat 30 minutes each. Heat brings blood to the injured area, thus increasing inflammation/pain receptors.

Since I refuse to do NSAIDS, my ortho works with me, using combinations of steroids, both oral and injections. HE likes Tramadol, but I think it is a waste of money and saliva. I had rotator cuff surgery, last year, and my main pain controllers were stretching, rest and ice. I am also a big fan of Biofreeze, that I can buy at WalMart now...woohoo!!!!

Since you are jogging, are your shoes properly fitting? Have good insoles?

ETA: You might want to Xpost this on the Exercise Forum

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/17 9:13 am, edited 3/22/17 2:19 am
RNY on 10/26/16

Call your doctor! There are options like Celebrex available that might help. Let your surgeon's office make the call on this issue. I do believe in Chiropractic, but I've already had the pain reliever discussion just so I can manage my expectations. Call!

P.S. There are also other cyto-protective options available that might allow you to use NSAIDs. I won't name the regimens as I don't want to advocate any OTC use of available products. Let the doctor decide. I have extensively studied these therapies for my job, so they do exist and your surgeon likely knows about them. That way you and he/she can discuss the risk benefit of those therapies vs. ulcer risk.

White Dove
on 3/22/17 2:56 pm - Warren, OH

Celebrex is an NSAID

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/17 4:52 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

It's a cox 2 nsaid which has less gastric mucosal impact than traditional nsaids. That combined with other protective agents might allow us to use the product for pain and inflammation. However not all doctors will be comfortable prescribing. But it is an viable option. Would you like to get into a pathway discussion on why it's not exactly the same?

White Dove
on 3/23/17 4:41 am - Warren, OH

My closest friend had RNY before I did and was my mentor through my process. She suffers from terrible back pain. She has a hot tub on her porch and uses it one or two times a day.

Her back pain got to bad that she finally convinced a doctor to prescribe her Celebrex. It was against her weight loss surgeon's recommendation, but her pain was so bad that she decided to risk it.

She is a very strong and active person. She works hard through the pain. I was so hopeful that the Celebrex would be her savior.

She was OK with it for almost five years. Then ended up with a bunch of ulcers that required surgery and over two weeks of hospitalization. Now she is trying to be approved for medical marijuana.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/17 6:22 am
RNY on 10/26/16

Well my first point was she should talk to her doctor and discuss the options available. I'm not advocating anything. I don't work for Pfizer. Actually I hate Pfizer for many reasons I won't go into here. Also where did I say long term use? The OP has acute pain issues. Celebrex is not indicated for long-term back pain treatment. I took Celebrex before my surgery and the doctor wouldn't give it to me for more than 90 days. Lastly I said some of these drugs have less mucousal impact, I never said no impact. I even said some doctors don't see enough benefit to take the risk. Take whatever I say with a grain of salt. I'm just a guy on the internet trying to give options. I thought I did it in a pretty balanced manner. I do bring 29 years of drug manufacturing experience to the discussion. I even worked on various NSAIDS, including Celebrex when it was developed by Searle and saw a large number of the clinical trial program results. I then went on to work for acid relieving drugs and also treatments for h pylori. Now I'm working in the Rheumatoid Arthritis space. I suffer with chronic pain, walk with a cane, need a walker to walk more than a couple of blocks. I'm just trying to help here.

White Dove
on 3/23/17 9:22 am - Warren, OH

Drugs all come with risks and benefits. It is up to the patient to decide what risks to take. My friend knew very well that she was taking a big risk, but felt the relief she was getting from Celebrex was worth the risk of ulcers.

I know very little about drugs and go by what my doctor says as well as what I read in the pill inserts and on the internet.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/22/17 11:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you tried something topical like Bio-Freeze or Icy-Hot? I screwed up my knee after a cycling accident (post-op) and it helped a ton.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NYMom222
on 3/22/17 3:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

They also have Arnica tablets that are sublinguals or at least dissolve in your mouth....... they are not a one time deal though, I would take them for several days. Have bought them off Amazon and CVS/Target. I actually had them given to me by my surgeon to reduce inflammation...

They have a rapid release Tylenol that I think works better for us as things don't hang around to be digested in our stomachs/pouches too long without a Pyloric valve.

Lastly- but this is a script....I have discovered from surgery this year, and a car accident...Valium 5mg is wonderful. Not so strong it knocks me out, but didn't realize until this year that it was also used as a muscle relaxer.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 314 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views