HELP! 4 -1/2 years out, low ferritin and iron levels

Ashley in Belgium
on 6/12/17 10:38 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Heme iron and the iron patches have helped me slowly bring my iron up but my ferritin is super low. I am fighting for iron transfusions, but due to where I live and the necessary travel involved to get them in my home country I am doing all I can to bring it up with supplements.

I have also found that mixing things up, both with the type of iron, the dosage and timing seem to affect my levels. I can't recommend enough that you take your supplements religiously. Change them up as well. Try the Patch, switch your brand of Multi vitamin, increase B12 to combat your fatigue as well. You must be your own best health advocate. Keep a spread sheet going and track things so YOU can spot trends. You can not rely on the Docs to do it for you.

Come back to OH and get back on track to help support you while you work on losing your regain. You can do this.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

mymeow
on 6/13/17 3:41 pm - Parker, CO
RNY on 02/12/13

Thank you for your suggestions! I am trying to mix things up as well to see if that will help, so I'm glad that's helping for you. I bought a new bariatric multivitamin and an iron pill from Bariatric Advantage. I'm hoping since they're designed for WLS people, maybe they'll absorb better or something. I also ordered the iron patches. I like your idea of keeping a spreadsheet too. Yes, I have learned over the years that you are in charge of your own health. While I think most doctors are knowledgeable and have your best interest at heart, I think they are too overworked and unconsciously let things slip by, so I've learned to be proactive over the years. Thanks for the welcome back. I'm going to try and become a regular again on OH :)

Robin

Lap Band 4/15/2008 (SW 304); Revision to RNY 2/12/2013

HW for RNY 268, SW 255, CW 174

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views