Do we retain more water if we have extra skin

NadiaM
on 5/22/18 12:46 pm

I am so happy to hear i am not the only one - my thought behind it was this: we store most of our water weight in our cells. Our bodies are made up of billions of cells (including our skin) - therefore, the more skin we have, the more possibility of storing more water in between our skin layers or cells.

I do agree that genetically some are more prone to water retention than others, but those of us who do have excess skin and are more prone, might be retaining more than the average? I am obviously no scientist, this is just me trying to understand why I am such an anomaly.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/22/18 1:22 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are valves inside our veins that are supposed to allow blood flow in one direction only. Many of us damage those valves while morbidly obese, and sitting for two long allows fluid to build up in our legs. Thats why a lot of us have dark staining on our skin (lividity) on our shin area, from the blood pooling. Its how they can tell if a body has been moved after being dead for a while, as well.

It's gravity that's most likely the cause of your fluid retention. If it was excess skin, you would retain water all the time. But you aren't -- its just after sitting for too long.

Compression stockings can help, but make sure to get the right size. I had to have EVLT to treat vein issues after weight loss. The vein doctor, who is young and very fit, wears them every day, because he sits for long stretches.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics