Gas Problems

Huneypie
on 8/21/12 6:00 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
You're thinking of Nullo or Devrom, but Liz is absolutely right an elimination diet is a very good idea, especially as not everyone finds internal deodorants to be effective.  You'll still have gas whether you take them or not, so I guess you could try the tablets alongside an elimination diet.

I'd be wary of the following:

sweetener (watch out for sugar free gum, that was a culprit for me)
carbs (oats, wheat, etc)
milk (in fermented form, ie cheese/yogurt it's normally OK for most)
milk powder/protein drinks (there's often milk powder in yogurt, soups, muesli and some cheese triangles and some ice cream so check for that)

Try going back to a basic Atkins style diet and then re-introduce things one by one.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Koko10
on 8/21/12 8:03 am - NC
Wow, you hit on a lot of stuff that I currently eat. I use Sweet and Low. Maybe I should try Splenda. I eat Atkins Choc Chip Granola Bars that have Oats in them. I'm not a big bread eater though. My milk comes from cheese most of the time and I drink a Adkins protein drink every morning for breakfast. I'm a routine eater so I guess I will have to try to find things to replace my "normal" stuff. I also eat peanuts every day! Thanks for the advice. I will work on it but I'd better try the deodorants too, just in case. LOL
Huneypie
on 8/21/12 8:08 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Watch out for Splenda too.  Stevia doesn't cause anyone bloating as far as I know.  It tastes a little funny so I use a little Erythritol too (90% of Erythritol passes out through your urine, but you still have 10% to contend with so it's best kept to a minimum).  I bought both products through Amazon.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Koko10
on 8/21/12 11:19 am - NC
OK, I will add Stevia to my list. I will start looking for it.
southernlady5464
on 8/21/12 8:13 am
You do realize the Atkins protein drink could also be the issue? Check all the ingredients very carefully. And it may not be just the oats in the Granola Bar:

Soy nuggets (soy protein isolate, calcium carbnate, oat fiber, oat flour), glycerin, polydextrose, hydrolyzed gelatin, chocolate flavored chips [maltitol, chocolate liquor (processed with alkali), cocoabutter, soy lecithin, vanilla extract], whole grain rolled oats, palm kernel and palm oil, sunflower oil whey protein isolate, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), vitamin mineral mix [tricalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, vitamin A palmitate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), sodium ascorbate, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), DL-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), niacinamide, biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, zinc oxide, folic acid, chromium chelate, phytonadione (vitamin K1), sodium selenite], soybeans, almonds, coconut, natural and artificial flavors, whole milk powder, cellulose, water, soy lecithin, salt, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, FR01

ANYTHING in bold could cause gas. Since I didn't know what shake you use, that was harder.

I realize protein bars are easy but go back to basics...a 5 day pouch test might help for the elimination diet.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Koko10
on 8/21/12 4:24 am, edited 8/21/12 4:32 am - NC
I drink the Atkins Advantage, milk chocolate flavor shakes EVERY morning. I eat the bars when I'm in a hurry between meetings or rushing around at home. I will check out the 5 day pouch test. I've never done that before but I will try it. I've been on the Atkins chocolate shakes since I had surgery 2/2011.  Here are the ingredients that I pulled of the web page. Thanks again

southernlady5464
on 8/21/12 12:25 pm
Water, Dairy Protein Blend (milk protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, whey protein concentrate), cream, sunflower oil, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), natural and artificial flavors, dipotassium phosphate, cellulose gel, salt, cellulose gum, vitain mineral mix [sodium ascorbate (vitamin C), zinc gluconate, ferric orthophosphate, DL-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), beta carotene (vitamin A), biotin, potassium iodide, chromium chloride, niacinamide, manganese gluconate, D-calcium pantothenate, phylloquinone (vitamin K1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), carrageenan, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, red 3, blue 1.

Sodium molybdate: developed as a fertilizer
Sodium selenite: is mainly used in colorless glass.

All the bolded ones could be the cause of your issues. The shake also has 5 grams of carbs perserving and 15 grams of protein...a serving apparently is 2.75 oz so for an entire can, you are getting 20 grams of carbs.
Serving Size: 11 fl oz (325 mL) Servings per Container: 4

I'd hunt for a new shake.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

lerkhart
on 8/21/12 6:59 am
I'm glad you found an exercise that you like.  I loved Zumba, but have just stopped going because I enjoy running better(when I do it!!).

I have really bad gas when I eat something with a lot of sugar alcohols or a lot of bad carbs.  When I cut those out or down it is not nearly as bad.  Hope you can find a solution.  I don't take anything for this because I know mine is food related.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Koko10
on 8/21/12 8:11 am - NC

Someone told me to keep trying until I found a couple things that I love, so that's what I'm doing. I've heard great things about Zumba so it's next.

I never thought about checking sugar alcohols. I don't eat a lot of bad carbs and I watch my sugar. How much sugar alcohol should we limit ourselves to or is this trial and error as well?

southernlady5464
on 8/21/12 8:16 am
Sugar alcohols are very much YMMV (your milage may vary). Each person handles them differently. Some are very sensitive, some not at all...

Watch for anything with the ending OL: here is a list of the ones most common: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol

Liz

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 515 views