It's finally happened to me

MajorMom
on 7/31/15 2:46 am - VA

Hang in there. The hair loss is normally a result of the anesthesia and hormone dump immediately post-op. Not much you can do but stay on course with lots of protein and vitamins.  This first year makes us look pretty wilted but things turn around pretty quick in the 2nd and 3rd years post-op.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

singdoremi
on 8/1/15 5:31 am - NJ

I think it is very common for people before they have surgery to worry about hair loss.  But those of us that have been through the surgery can say that it is worth having hair loss to gain better health, a more positive attitude about our bodies and ourselves, and a new life!  Try not to worry about it too much. Keep your protein levels up, take your vitamins, and get a shorter haircut.  Your hair will grow back and two years from now you won't even remember why it was so important .

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

DanaDenise
on 8/1/15 9:10 pm

The nurse's assistant told me that all rapid weight loss causes hair loss, but  it stops once you begin maintaining your weight.  Most people lose 10% of their hair each day, but rapid weight loss causes people to lose about 30%. He also said that you will definitely lose more hair if you don't keep your protein high.  I had my surgery at the end of May and just recently noticed a difference in the amount of hair loss...I was hoping to be an exception to the rule!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 303 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 427 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 507 views