Surgery date June 7th, Day 2 of Pre-Op Diet

NextChapterPlease
on 5/25/11 9:26 am - CA
Hi Everyone,

Today is day (2) of my pre-op diet. I have only liquids ( 1000 calories a day) and 60 to 70 grams of protein, for the next two weeks. My surgery date is June 7th.

How do I feel....Commited to this process, but tired, horrible headaches ( probably detoxing from sugars, carbs, etc), and my stomach is upset. I went to the gym today, despite how I felt, and walked 3 miles, and worked out with weights. Trying to take it easy on myself...

Is anyone else on the pre-op diet yet? If so, when you experience burning in your stomach, what do you do? What has been your experience so far?  I find I cannot tolerate any of the fruit juice due to the acid... Jello, Trader Joes low fat soup, Protein Drinks and sugar free popsicles are my main stay....

Wishing everyone much love.  Looking forward to this journey with all of you.

Tammy G.
on 5/25/11 1:14 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 I started week 2 of a 4 week pre-op diet today, but mine is much different than yours.  My surgery date is 6/16.  I only have to limit carbs to 30grams a day and up protein.  Clear liquids the day before.

The worst thing so far is no energy and the Ketone breath.  Thank you, Scope.
Bigasiangirl
on 5/27/11 6:28 am
VSG on 06/01/11 with
Hi there, it is interesting to see how many different pre-op diets there are... almost as many as gastric surgeons!  My diet was only to limit my caloric intake to 1200, no other restrictions but that.  I admire your committment!  Going to the gym when feeling ill?!?  WOW!    I don't think I could ever do that.  

I think the main reason why they have us on a pre op diet is to shrink the size of our livers.  I was told by the nurse at my surgeon's clinic that the liver is very sensitive and can easily be damaged.  It needs to be lifted to get to the stomach.  She said if the liver is too large, they will stop the surgery and sew you back up with out doing what you actually wanted them to do!  Scary!  

That scared me enough to keep my calories under 1200, I'm so sorry that I can't be of much help to you but I wish you all the success you're heart desires!  

Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

lisaj803
on 5/27/11 6:43 am
My liquid diet starts on June 6th and 2 days prior to surgery clear liquid.  I can only have protein shakes (800 calories per day) and low sodium broth sparingly, and water

I believe you are feeling bad because you are detoxing off of sugar too.  I am not looking forward to the first few days of the liquid diet because of how bad you feel for the first 3-4 days.  Just stay committed to do everything just as your Dr. says and before you know it all this pre-op stuff will be over and you will be on the next chapter of your life.

Lisa
NextChapterPlease
on 5/27/11 7:15 am - CA
Thank you all for replying. Today is day 4 and I feel amazing! I've worked out at the gym ( walking 3 miles on the incline, and weights) each day. It is getting easier, and the headaches are gone ( thank God)...

Yes, it appears many of the post op diets are different. I am grateful for mine, albeit more strict than some, it helps to get my head in place. After the surgery, I will be eating like for at leat three weeks, and I'd rather get used to it now, than in the hospital. For those of you who don't know much about me, I'd planned to have the surgery two years ago. I could not totally at that time get my head around what would be involved to be successful. Two years later, I am having the surgery to use as a tool, in addition to eating well, and commiting to exersize. This moring, i was tired and bored with walking, and honestly felt like walking out of the gym. I was just tired. However, unless I need to go to the ER (LOL), I must work out everyday. This is a way of life.

Each day that passes, my mind is clearing, and I feel better. I will say I am having a hard time with family accepting my deciosion to have surgery. My Mom stopped talking to me. And I wonder how to tell friends and neighbors. They are going to see dramatic changes, and I want to be prepared. I am a very private person to begin with, but with close friends, I even feel they may judge. Please, if you have any thoughts on this subject, please share them with me,,,,

WE are doing this together~~~

lisaj803
on 5/27/11 12:09 pm
I have found that when I tell someone that I am having bariatric surgery they always know someone who has either gained all of their weight back or has had some god awful complication.  I don't what that is all about? My family is very supportive.  I am fortunate to have my family,  My mom is Awesome.  She had RNY about 4 years ago and has done well.

Like you I am committed to exercise.  That is soo important.  I want to use the "honeymoon period" after surgery to lose as much weight as I can.

I cant wait to  see the before and after pictures of all the June babies.  We are about to go through an Extreme transformation.

Let's keep each other informed of our successes and let's sbe there for each other when we are going through trials.

Lisa
NextChapterPlease
on 5/28/11 12:08 am - CA
Hi Lisa,
 Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me! You are right! We are doing this process together.  :)

Diane
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/27/11 9:34 pm
I am in the middle of week 5 of 6 of my pre-surgery diet.  I am doing Optifast.  They have us doing 7 shakes/soups/bars a day.  I usually only get 5 or 6 in.  (I have only purchased 4 weeks of Optifast and have almost 1 week left).  We can have 2 cups of SF jello and 1 cup of raw veggies a day (lettuce, green peppers, cucumbers, celery).  It is suppose to work out to 1200 calories a day.  If we go out I get a salad with vinegar/splenda as dressing.

Being diabetic  I ate less carbs already and sorta de-carbed prior to starting.  I think it made it a lot easier.  One lady I worked with had a lap band a couple of years ago.  She said by day 3 she was crying because she missed carbs so much.  The diet really hasn't bothered me.  And I have lost between 25- 30 lbs in 31 days so I am enjoying the head start!  I am already wearing things I could not fit into before.

Winnie

NextChapterPlease
on 5/28/11 12:11 am - CA
Congrats to yuo Winnie!....HONESTLY, veggies didn't get me to this point in my life, but what I would give to chew a piece of lettuce right now, ya' just can't imagine!

Today is Day 5 for me.  Last night was very hard, but I made it and I'm so grateful! Keep going, you sound great and I'm glad to be along on this journey with you!
Most Active