Surgery Date June 7th, Day 5 of liquid Post Op Diet

NextChapterPlease
on 5/28/11 12:20 am - CA
Morning everyone,

Today is day 5 of my liquid only ( 1000 calorie, 50-70 grams of protein per day post op diet).  My surgery date is June 7th.

Last night was extremely hard for me. It was my first Friday night, not going out to eat, not eating whatever I wanted and not stuffing my feelings and emotions down using food. I had a lot on my mind, and I've used food my entire life as a buffer to not feel, and a coping mechanisim. When I decided to have the RNY surgery, two years ago, I knew I had to be prepared for these feelings to come up, and to have a process in place to deal whatever comes my way. It took me two years to get my  head right. Lucky for me last night, I use the tool of writting my feelings down, I reached out to another friend I met in my RNY support classes, and told her how I was feeling. The difference today, is I don't ACT out on my feelings. I sit with them and work through them. Food is not longer an OPTION, or an answer.

Today I woke up, and I feel great. My body is shrinking. I feel healthy, positive, and grateful I have the opportunity to use this surgery as a tool.  I'm going to the gym to walk my three miles, and lift weights. Oh.... and last night, one thing I did to remind of what I wanted most: I went through the before and after pictures on this website. Yep, I did. Because I wanted to remind myself that I too, want to be in a normal size body, and have my outsides match my insides.

Wishing you all a great day, and very grateful we are ALL in this together.

D-

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/28/11 5:17 am
Sounds like you are working through this in a healthy manner.  Know that there is help out there if you need it.  I liked the psychologist that did my eval and 4 week group sessions I went to.  I will probably schedule some time with her during this process.

Although I am doing Optifast as my pre-surgery diet, we are allowed some salad type vegetables every day (lettuce, cucumbers, celery, green peppers).  So I have been getting a dinner salad when I go out with the family.

Winnie

melody46
on 5/31/11 11:28 am - cross plains, WI
I really glad to hear that the liquid diet is going wel l only a few more days and you will start the past part of the journey to the weight loss I am going to follow you all thru this it was the best thing that I did for myself, and i want you to know that you will feel a hunndred times better looking forward to reading your post of surg. Good luck,,,,,,
Tammy G.
on 5/28/11 7:02 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Good for you, for working through those feelings.  Developing coping skills other than eating is sometimes more difficult than we like to admit.  Myself, I went through extensive therapy for YEARS to work on my issues and I still struggle with them.  Your surgery day is coming up fast--Good luck!
MzLori
on 5/29/11 5:48 am
Hi,

My surgery is the day after yours.  Today is my 5th day on the liquid fast.  I am supposed to get my 60g's of protein.  I don't have a calorie limit, but I'm having trouble even meeting 1000.  I tend to fall short on protein as well.  I'm having issues with textures and milk based proteins.  If what I 'drink' is going to make me sick to my stomach I don't think its a good idea. 

I admire your thoughts and I too take a few minutes each day to go thru before and after pictures here and on my surgeons website.  It keeps me focused I think.  I've lost about 9 lbs in the 5 days I've been fasting.  But due to a hernia that will be repaired during surgery I am restricted from exercise and strenuous activity.  (Which sucks!)  I walk around my house and yard alot but find I tire easily.  Are you experiencing fatigue as well?

I welcome any and all suggestions.  I am trying desperately to stay positive but another 9 days seems endless at times.

Please add me as a friend if you like.  I look forward to speaking with you more.

:) Lori
NextChapterPlease
on 5/30/11 12:50 pm - CA
Hi Lori, thank you for your response. Stay positive and focused. 9 days will come and go before you know it. Tomorrow is day 8 for me, and on days 1 through 3, I thought I would die from the headaches, and modd swings detoxing off the sugar and carbs. Guess what? I did it, and you will too! :) Yes, you will be fatigued ( I was), and as the days progress, it will get better, I promise you! Drink a lot of water, don't stress about the ealking right now. Concentrate on getting your head in the right place, and everything else will fal lin place. Always here. Looking forward to this journey! We're doing this!
D-
mlyssa971
on 5/30/11 11:28 am
Everyone on here it seems is doing a liquid diet for several days before surgery. I am on a modified atkins now. I replace one meal with a protein shake and 2 weeks out I replace 2 meals with protein shakes and go on liquid only 1 day before surgery unless it changes at my preop apt on the 14th.That sound right to ya'll
MzLori
on 5/30/11 11:51 pm
I think every surgeon has their own fasting program.  Mylyssa, I am sure yours is what is acceptable for him.  My surgeons reasoning for my 2 week protein fast is it puts me in the mindset for whats to come after surgery as well as it shrinks my liver so that he is able to get to my tummy laproscopically.  Its kinda funny I have absolutely no desire for anything sweet...no cookies, no cake, no chocolate.  I want a salad!  Maybe a bite of meat...but no sweets. 
Most Active