Finally Home after my June 1st Surgery - **ADVICE FOR PRE- OPS**

jennifersmithee
on 6/4/11 9:06 am - Farmers Branch, TX
I am finally home! I had a very bad hospital experience that I would not wish on anyone. I ended up with a collapsed lung and pneumonia, my nurses were not nice. The kitchen didn't have a clue as to how to feed a sleeve patient or probably any WLS patient for that matter. Regardless I am at home finishing my recovery and I survived.

For those that have NOT had their surgeries yet I have a couple bits of advice that I wished someone would have given me:

1) Bring your approval letter with you on the day of your surgery in case there are any misunderstandings or hiccups.... Also it probably won't hurt to call your insurance company, MDO and hospital 2-3 days prior to your date just to make sure everything is good.

2.) Be prepared for conflicting information from your physcian's office and the hospital's "bariatic program" especially regarding dietary intake and restrictions.And be prepared to follow the hospitals plans  as your MD may not be there to back you up right away if you have any intolerances. If you do have special needs,(such as a strong aversion to Splenda) don't be afraid to contact the hospital and get a hold of their "bariatic menu" amd simply supplement the things you can't have with your own brought from home - as long as it follows the guidelines and your physician OK's it.

3.) Keep track of EVERYTHING. Bring a notebook with you and record (or have someone else with do it) everything that you do within 10-15 minute increments. Don't depend on the nursing staff to do this. Take charge and do it yourself, so if/ when there are any discrepensies you can address them appropritely.

4.) Keep your nurse informed of your progress. Bug the heck out if them, there are so many avenues to miscommunication in a hospital (I should have remembered this I used to work on a surgical floor!) Call up to the nurses station to inform them you are going for a walk, or walk by the nurses station so they can see you ambulate, Make sure you use you breathing exercises whenever any medical professional is in your presence so they know you are doing it and doing it properly.

You can read my story on the VSG board - the link is below. Good Luck!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4395608/SLEEVED-Horrib le-hospital-recovery-experience-LONG/

codlover
on 6/4/11 10:41 am - Celina, OH
Jen
Sorry you had to deal with unexpected problems.....I am trusting that you will find it so worth it in the months ahead. I wish you a speedy an uneventful recovery !!!!
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
Tammy G.
on 6/5/11 11:08 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 That sounds horrible!!!

The Bariatric Center Program Coordinator  (that's a mouthful) from St. David's called me on Friday to make sure all my ducks were in a row.  She also informed me that they had gotten me a special bed because of my severe RA.  She made me feel very comfortable.  The part of the hospital I will be in is only bariatric surgeries--the program and people who work in it are award winning and are specially trained to care for the bariatric patient.  I won't just 'show up' for surgery.  The day before I will visit the unit, meet the anethesiologist (which is extremely important given my medical history) and staff, extensive pre-op evaluations, etc.  I will most likely be in ICU directly after surgery, at least 12 hours.  I feel like I know what to expect.  I also feel lucky that I am able to travel to such a good program.  My local hospitals that do bariatrics---let's just say it is worth traveling and having to stay in a different city for 2 plus weeks.
mlyssa971
on 6/5/11 11:10 am
Glad you are home now and doing much better. Thank you for the advice!
princessfrogee
on 6/5/11 10:21 pm - AL
Sorry you had such a bad experience.  Hopefully it is all downhill from here!

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
Cheryl D.
on 6/9/11 4:20 pm - Wapakoneta, OH
RNY on 06/15/11 with
I am 5 days away from surgery myself and really appreciate the pointers. I already have a notebook packed, to journal in. I am a nurse on a Open Heart surgery unit, so, I am aware of the importance of Coughing/Deep Breathing exercises, along with the Incentive spirometer. Walking almost hourly while in the hospital isn't a bad thing either. 1. I breaks up the monotony of lying in a hospital bed, 2. I uses many muscle groups, and keeps the lungs clear. 3. Keeps the gas moving to prevent pain.
Again thanks, and keep up the good work.
Mimaw99

Most Active