2 weeks from tomorrow and worried

mlyssa971
on 6/5/11 12:08 pm
  For the Junies that have already had their surgery, How bad is it afterward? Its the pain that terrifies me. I had a hysterectomy in 2001 and it was awful I swore I would never have surgery again for anything. This has me VERY NERVOUS!

Tammy G.
on 6/5/11 12:27 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Of course I haven't had my RNY yet, but in 1997 I had laproscopic gall bladder surgery.  For that one the worst part was the gas pains from being blown up like a balloon a couple of days after surgery.  I got a gas bubble in my back by my shoulder blades and it hurt really bad.  It didn't last too long though.

I had a frank talk about pain to my surgeon on our first visit and told him straight up that if he didn't believe in pain management I would be looking for another surgeon.  He guaranteed I would have a pain pump and not have to depend on someone to bring me meds every time I needed something.
mlyssa971
on 6/5/11 12:33 pm
Yeah my best friend said I would have a pain pump. I was in the hospital for 3 days with my surgery Got out on 9/11/2001. I hurt for WEEKS afterward and I know I have to go back to work 2 says after my surgery so I pray this one is no where near as bad.
princessfrogee
on 6/5/11 3:52 pm - AL
When they refer to the pain pumps, is it always morphine or similar strong drugs??  I have had both a C-section and laproscopic gaul bladder removal.  The C-section I was put on morphine and had made it clear I did not want strong meds.  Luckily, they took me off when I requested and on both surgeries I did not use pain meds other than Tylenol.  I had them, just did not use them.  I fully get that may not be possible with this surgery,  just don't want to be drugged up and out of it all the time.  I am sensitive to meds and what may make someone slightly drowsy will put me OUT.  I tend to have a high pain tolerance so am hoping I won't need the strong meds. 

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
Stacie P.
on 6/6/11 1:24 am, edited 6/6/11 2:29 am - PA

Try and just focus on the purpose of the surgery and your NEW and WONDERFUL future that lies ahead of you. My surgery is the same day as yours and I am having all of the same concerns. I beleve that you will be just fine. I look at it like this...A few days of suffering leads to a future of happiness.

I will be thinking of you on our special day!!!

mlyssa971
on 6/6/11 2:23 am
I am sensitive to the drugs also and usually half of what other people can function on will put me out. I just want to be able to work because what time I am out of work affects my ability to keep our family functioning. I am a bit of a baby when it comes to pain. My friend said it was not that bad but every one is different. Thanks for all the advice it helps to know others have the same concerns and have been through it and are there to give advice.
Tammy G.
on 6/6/11 3:44 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 I am completely the opposite of you ladies.  I have a drug tolerance from being on narcotics for rheumatoid arthritis for the better part of 10 years.  I have no idea what drug they will use, but I was assuming it would be Demerol.  I like the idea of a pain pump because then you control the intensity of the amount of drug going into your body.  Some of us might need to push the button once or twice an hour while others might need some every 15 minutes.  I can manage with a great deal of pain, I just prefer not to.

I can't believe you are going back to work 2 days after major surgery!  I don't know how you will manage that---I hope your job is not too stressful.  I can't even imagine that!  I was still working when I had my gallbladder out and I must be a wimp because I needed the whole six weeks off from work and still felt like I went back to work too soon even 2 weeks after I went back.  
Most Active