June 2014 RNY peeps - how are you doing, any problems?

drmroth
on 7/4/14 5:42 am

Hi. I'm a week post-op and I think I'm doing fairly well. I've been very bloated but after pressing and rubbing on my belly I started to have some watery bowels. It's better than nothing. My diet consists of protein drinks, soup and water with no issues. I do have some pain at site where the drain came out which isn't awful but catches every so often. I've been walking about a mile each day although it's easier to do with half a pain pill. I'm supposed to take ursodiol to prevent gallstones but I get really dizzy, some queezy, tired and I have really strange dreams so I'm holding off til my doctor can give me a different med. Are you having any issues?

Pinky1030
on 7/5/14 2:50 am, edited 7/5/14 2:51 am - Mediapolis, IA
Revision on 06/24/14

My surgery was 6/24. No real problems except getting tired of the same foods. I drink double milks, 24 oz per day. Also 80 cal greek yogurt, 1/2 at a time, cottage cheese. Some regular cheese and a few bits of soft meats. Incisions are mostly healed. Hoping to start exercising soon.

cheekymonkey62
on 7/6/14 12:41 pm

I haven't been on here since I first checked it out a couple of months ago.  I'm 10 days post-op and other than very sick in recovery, everything was great…no pain meds at all.  My problem, and the reason I'm here, is to ask if anyone out there feels similarly.  I was happy to drink a little water the second day after surgery, but I have no interest in taking anything now.  I feel slightly nauseous all of the time - I think it's mental because I just do NOT want to eat.  Powdered pills are a gross way to start the day and certainly don't help with wanting to swallow anything.  It doesn't hurt to swallow, I just don't want to eat.  It's been 4 1/2 weeks of the liquid diet now for me so my calorie count is pathetic.  Yesterday I figured that I've had 1,800 calories in the last 9 days.  I'm hoping that's the reason for feeling drained.  WHEN does this pass?  I can completely feel how I won't want to eat much of anything, but I certainly would like to want SOMETHING rather than forcing everything down.  Weight loss has been amazing.  It's got to slow down.  I've lost 51 pounds in 8 weeks!  I started at 345.

emckechnie
on 7/9/14 1:57 pm - West Sacramento, CA

I'm also 10 days post-op (6/30/14) and have discovered that I HATE protein shakes! I don't want to eat if that's what I'm getting. My suggestions are these: First, go to your doctor and get something for the nausea, don't assume it's all in your head. I was on a patch for my first week post-op and it really helped. Second, try some food other than shakes. My diet includes pureed bean soups and I've discovered that Anderson's Split Pea Soup with Bacon tastes like real food, doesn't have to be pureed and is high in protein. Try to change up the diet a bit. Once you get some nutrition into you, the energy should come back! At the very least, you should tell your doc about your weight loss and poor appetite. You can't heal very well if you're not taking in nourishment.

Good luck!

Samantha F.
on 7/10/14 2:05 am - Coden, AL
RNY on 06/09/14

I am 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery. I have to psych myself up to eat anything. I called my NUT and she said to move along but to mix puree with lumpier stuff at first. Be sure you eat very slowly and chew very well. It is important to move past the liquid stage but I am struggling. Just know that it is best for your body if you do. She also suggested one "difficult" meal a day and then something easy line yogurt or soup for the other times

Ndalyrn13
on 7/6/14 3:10 pm

Hi! My surgery was on June 2 this year so I'm starting my 6 th post op week tomorrow. I've been consuming about 700 calories a day. I've lost 20 pounds since surgery. 37 overall since the preop diet started two weeks prior. I went back to work 2 weeks post op so my nutrition has to be spot on. My energy recently hasn't been the greatest. I'm getting all my protein in but also started really exercising. My concern is that my intake isn't that much so how much are we expected to burn off in calories. I went on a 3 hour hike Friday and died for about two hours after. Today i did a cardio sculpt class and felt good but my bet calories after working out was 350. Should I try to eat more? I just can't. I have had no complications from surgery. I've been walking since I woke up from surgery. No pain. No nausea. On regular foods for life now.

drmroth
on 7/6/14 3:39 pm

Wow you're doing great! When you say regular foods, can you eat broccoli? How is it eating salads? Is there any food that gives you problems? 

Ndalyrn13
on 7/7/14 9:39 am

Well I have been eating cauliflower with Greek dip for snacks. I haven't tried broccoli yet or salads. I think they are allowed now but I'm taking new foods slow. Nothing has been an issue. Sometimes if I drink water too fast I feel it struggling to get down. I chew like crazy when I eat raw veggies. I don't drink alcohol and haven't eaten breads yet. I DID west 5 ritz crackers yesterday and it took me a while and I chewed like crazy- no problems. I also haven't eaten any red meats or pork. I believe that's not for about 5 more months

drmroth
on 7/7/14 5:58 pm

Doctor moved me onto foods today. I ate 3 very tiny pieces of chicken and some lettuce. Did fine with both. He advised adding a different food each day to see how my body handles it. I'm happy to say that the little lettuce I did have helped with the constipation. 

NinaCanDOit
on 7/11/14 6:24 am
RNY on 06/27/14

I'm two weeks out today and I tried a bit of cottage cheese this morning -  my first food stuff in a long time.  I was ok with about 2 tbls (1/8 c), but that was it.  I'm not up for anything more, but happily I've been getting in all of my water and I've been ok overall.  I'm gaining strength everyday, getting less and less sore and feeling better.

I am freaking out over not getting enough protein, but my nut said I'm fine.  She wants me to go at my own pace and wait for my hunger queues, which I totally understand, but still.  (agh! I'm not looking forward to hairloss)  

The other big thing is that they (surgeon&nut) don't want me taking protein shakes.  They are firm on not drinking calories, again which I understand, but right about now I would love to try and get some protein that way. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

Most Active