second guessing myself

jclopez
on 10/28/14 4:26 am

My surgery is 12 days away and up until today I have been super excited about it. What changed is that my mom called and told me she didn't think I need it now that I have a new medication for my hypersomnia/narcolepsy and I am a lot more active now. I told her I still want it (and I do) and she said she doesn't think I'm big enough to need surgery. I think I am. My high weight was 280 and my current weight is 250 that's still a bmi above 40!  I know myself and normal diets only work for a few months and I know I would not be able to lose all that I want and keep it off without surgery. I actually eat very healthy foods my problem is portion control. I still feel I need this surgery but my mom went and planted that small seed of doubt. She did say she is just scared and uneasy about me only having part of my stomach. How do you handle people who don't want you to have the surgery? Ugghhh why did she have to say that especially waiting until 12 days before surgery when she had the last 6 months to say something. Sorry for the ranting just needed to vent.

Sammy D.
on 10/28/14 5:11 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

If she were against it, I would imagine she would have said something before now. I think she is just concerned for your safety since the sleeve is a major surgery. I would just re assure her things will be okay and keep moving.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Tish24
on 10/30/14 8:50 am - Owen Sound, Canada

I felt like I was reading about my own life reading your post. My mom isn't against me having the surgery, but she is concerned about the odds of survival of the surgery. My mom has watched me yoyo all my life, and like you I could never keep the weight off for any length of time. It normal to have doubts and remember that your addiction to food is a living thing. It lives in our heads and it wants to be feed. Don't let it trick you into thinking "it not that bad" only you know what your life has been like and only you know what will make you happy. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Today is my Day!
Lady_bugg · 0 replies · 516 views
24 hours out of OR!
LilyBeez813 · 1 replies · 678 views
Surgery Tomorrow!
Jenbg · 1 replies · 544 views
12 hours out of surgery!!
Sharshar_ · 1 replies · 540 views