December 18th! Good Bye Lap-Band & Hello Roux-En-Y

annetteg
on 12/15/13 10:48 am

I finally won on my 2nd Appeal to Cigna. I am so glad my Lap-Band journey will be over. Congrats to all the other victories in here!

QoftheU
on 12/15/13 3:02 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Hi - I'm also a LapBand to RNY - AND on the 18th! Are you a little freaky about it? It just all happened so fast and here I am - Wednesday - YIKES! I spent the weekend in San Francisco NOT thinking about it and drinking some wine! Tomorrow is clear liquids for two days then it's off to the races! Did you have problems with your band or it just didn't work? That is my issue. Although I'm a little nervous this will fail too. Oh well, full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes, right?!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

annetteg
on 12/15/13 9:46 pm

I got the Lap-Band in 2005 and it worked for about 2 years for me. I lost 120lbs with it (270 when I started, got down to approx 150). I loved it...until I didn't. Went for a fill one time and they overfilled it. It felt like I was stabbed in the chest. After that, it never worked right. I just forgot about it and wrote it off as an oh well, it was good while it lasted! Last year I got pregnant with my 3rd, I was approx 200 lbs and I gained nothing with my 3rd but I got severe GERD which everyone thought was because of the pregnancy but it turned out to be that the band slipped at some point when everything inside got shifted around cause of baby. I felt like I had to eat all the time to keep the acid at bay and so since the baby was born I gained 30lbs. It just kept getting worse and worse so in August I went to see my surgeon they did an EGD and my band was in bad shape. Cigna wanted me to do 2 separate surgeries if I wanted a revision but I fought to have it done in one. Took about 3 1/2 months but I won. Scheduled it 10 days after receiving the decision!!! I am starting to freak out now that I am on a full liquid diet pre-op. Did so much research I feel like I know everything but I am sure I know nothing, lol. My biggest fear is regain as well, but my doc told me that if I could lose 120 with the bad, that shows that I was compliant. He is a stickler for associating regain and failure with non-compliance. The hardest part for me is the no drinking with meals. But I did it with the band and only stopped after my restriction stopped. I am super excited and super nevous at the same time. Today I keep thinking something might go wrong and my babies need me, but my friends tell me that's normal. Truly hoping for a complication free surgery and speedy recovery.

Wish you lots of luck and same outcome as me. I wish I could have gone drinking but it caused me a lot of pain to do so with the GERD. Haven't had much of anything to drink in a VERY long time.

QoftheU
on 12/16/13 3:41 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Well, we have about the same amount of weight to lose - so as long as we're compliant, we SHALL do this! Good luck to you as well!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

MarcieB
on 1/9/14 1:09 pm - Eau Claire, WI

I had a band in 2008 and it twisted two years later. I had the bypass on 12/23/2013. Down 25 lbs.  I was frightened of the surgery. Went really well. Surgeon did a hernia repair at the same time and that is the  only incision that has been uncomfortable. Taking care of my 8 month old granddaughter after 2 weeks. Have to be careful lifting due to hernia repair. Feel great. Biggest issue is drinking enough water esp. as I live at 7,000 feet.

How are you doing?

Marcie

Cunning_Pam
on 12/16/13 1:38 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Yay, another 18th person! Good luck, and I hope everything goes great for you.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active
Recent Topics
Update on my VSG 12/19/13
teresa C. · 0 replies · 561 views
Update on my SV Dec 28 2014
Dubs · 0 replies · 494 views
Dec 28 Date for VS
Dubs · 0 replies · 610 views