Butterflys or Lunar Moths

Tige-Girl
on 4/18/11 10:48 pm - Canada
Not sure which I have. It's either a flock of butterflys or one heck of a huge Lunar moth in my guts!! Why do I feel this way??? I go to the clinic and see a dietician, ot and Dr. Sharma for the first time this morning.......I'm so afraid the dietician will put me on a regime that will make me starve all the time. I'm afraid of .....not sure.....failure? AGAIN!?!?!
Keelan
on 4/18/11 11:27 pm
I know it's easier said than done but just take a deep breath and relax. Going to the clinic for the first time can be nerve wrecking but it'll all be fine in the end. Dr Sharma is wonderful, the only thing I found intimidating was after our conversation he pulled out his recorder and started dictating into it what we talked about and I was like oh my god he's talking about me and trust me it was a real eye opener to hear someone else talk about my obesity.
Once you meet your team you'll feel more at ease. You won't start to death but you may come out with a headache from all the info thrown at you in such a small span of time. You also won't fail cause for the first time in your life they won't just put you on a "Diet" they treat the issues that brought you to obesity in the first place. They are all wonderful and after today you'll look forward to the next visits.
Good Luck.
Kee

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

Tige-Girl
on 4/19/11 11:39 am - Canada
LOL!!! He did the same to me! He kept looking at me with kind of questioning looks to make sure he was recording the right info!!! REALLY nice though, with intense eye contact! It was relaxed. He sure asked A lot of questions right back to childhood but didn't seem to be in a hurry at all. I feel a little strange having so many people working for/with ME for a change. Even my current GP told me to loose weight by staying away from the fridge and eating celery......it's nice to be somewhere that people "get it" and leave their judgement at the door......You're right about leaving with a headache, it was a quiet drive home........thanks for your support! 
Kelly-AnneH
on 4/19/11 12:13 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
It's normal to be scared, Wendy, but it might help to know a few things ahead of time. To start. I know I was really worried about my first appointment with the Internist until I talked to Janine about it. That first appointment is simply another intake appointment. You'll be weighed and your BP taken as usual, and he'll ask you about your general health and goals, and in my case (Dr Yaltho) give a quick rundown on the hoops you'll have to get through if you want surgery. The letter he dictates is to your GP and basically accepts the referral from your Dr and outlines the plan the clinic has for you. Not so scary, huh?

The dietitian doesn't need to be scary either. Whichever one you get (Carlene is amazing) will look at your food journal and ask lots of questions in order to get a good picture of where you are right now. The plan you'll get will be based on that and may be as simple as working on not skipping meals, or as strict as what I got. (I'd already taken all of the modules and had been practicing what they teach for a year - I was ready for more) Whatever you get will challenge YOU where YOU are, and is totally for YOUR benefit.

I find it helpful to remember that your whole team is on YOUR side and wants you to succeed almost as much as you do.

What time are your appointments? Would you like to meet for coffee after?

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Tige-Girl
on 4/19/11 11:33 am - Canada
HEy Kelly-Anne! Sorry I didn't get the message until now (7:24 PM) as it's my first quiet minute today! I flew out of the house this morning at 8 ish and after dropping my boy at school, I headed into the city. I had Appt's with the dietician (Lee), an OT and PT and then Dr. Sharma..... FOund out I'd lost a couple of more pounds this month so that was good. Must be the walking that's helping. Since I've made food lifestyle changes over the last 2 years, Lee just wants me to TRY and cut portions, esp. my protein intake and add a carb to meals to help fill me as I don't do potatoes, rice, RARELY pasta. The OT/PT were group visits and quit frankly, I used to teach this stuff so it was nothing I wasn't aware of.....Dr. Sharma want to try me on a new diabetic medication (name escapes me) but it's a pen needle to stimulate my pancreas to produce insulin in a more timely fashion. It's NOT and insulin injection. He says it is showing a side effect of "satiation" that is, keeping you full longer so might help with my Growlies!I'll start that tomorrow. He wants me to try continuing on my path and trying this med change before we jump to surgery. He says "we could do it but if you can keep up as you are and the blood sugar cooperates, then you save putting plastic in you (Band) or cutting out 4/5 ths of your stomach!" So- guess I'll plod away for a while longer and see how it goes! Sorry I didn't get your coffee offer message until I got home but I was in the clinic from 10 until 3!!!Long day, thank goodness I packed food!!!!!          
PMama
on 4/19/11 7:07 am
I don't go from my first apt until end of May and I already have the same feeling.  I would love to hear your thoughts after you go.
Tige-Girl
on 4/19/11 11:41 am - Canada
Welcome to the forum. I just started at the clinic about 6 weeks ago and have found the members on here very helpful, informative and supportive. Good luck with your journey and if you need any questions anwered, just post away!!!!! Cheers! Wendy (Tige-Girl)
Most Active