What?

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/28/11 12:46 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You're a rock star, Kee, and I'll be thrilled to come close to doing as well as you have.

I'm older than most on here, (54) and know that makes a difference in long term results, but I want the chance to at least try to get to a healthy (off drugs, active and feeling good) weight.

Carlene's number of 200 might be the best I can do, but even that is SO much better than 255!

So - I need to get through this next few days, then, if I'm approved, on to the challenge of becoming the very best prepared candidate I can be.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sixfootkat
on 4/29/11 6:20 pm - Canada
Kee,  I'm a little confused according to your numbers you have lost 35.4%.

((Intial Weight-Current Weight)/Intial Weight) * 100= weight loss percentage
((274-177)/274)*100=35.4%

Sorry to burst your bubble about the % but you totally look HOT!

Also, it is my understanding that 30-40% of weightloss is recommended (not expected) due to the fact that people who lose & maintain this amount statistically tend to keep this amount off after 5 years.  There is of course exceptions to every rule. 

I have lost 33.3% of my weight & the staff at WW have recommended that I not lose more than another 20-40 lbs because if I go much beyond this I run a much greater risk of regaining the weight.  When I was told this I was extremely upset!  I had a really hard time excepting that I should not lose all the weight I wanted to & it took me awhile to be happy with the amount of weight I have lost.  I have lost 140lbs so far but I still weigh 280lbs.  So far the WW clinic has been so helpful & correct every step of the way.  I am still losing weight however now it is extremely slow...about a pound every two weeks.  I still find it hard to deal with the emotional parts of the journey.

Hugs Katrina

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/29/11 6:44 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Maybe you're doing the math differently?

My calculator says that 274-140=134(excess weight) and that 97# is 72% of 134. It's 35.4% of her original weight. So - it just depends on whether you're calculating % of original weight or of excess weight.

Either way she's a rock star!

Kelly-Anne

Keelan
on 4/30/11 1:33 am

My dietatian and Nurse both caculated my percentage of weight gone as in my excess weight I had to lose being my normal rate for my height and bmi should be 135-140ish. So they caculated it the same way Kelly-Anne has done in the post below. I had done it the same way you had until my last appointment and they told me it's base on excess, so much to my surprise they showed me and my percentage has gone up.
Either way I am completely happy with my choice to have this surgery and would not change a thing. I'm smaller now than I was in grade 10 and that was back in 1990. I love my sleeve and love my life.
As for the clinic I know we should listen to them cause they have been right the whole time but I will stop losing when I know I should and my body tells me it's done. I know it'll come a point in time when this will happen and until then I'll take what ever it gives me to get me closer to my bmi goal of being Normal.
katrina you have also done amazing well and are an inspiration to us all. it was just the other day I was wondering about you cause I had not seen you post in a long time. I hope all is well and you are enjoying the nicer weather. Also when it comes to emotions you are not alone. We all have out moments. Hang in there girl.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

genser
on 4/29/11 3:19 pm
When I met with the surgeon, the LPN who took me into the room asked if my husband was with me.  He just so happened to be waiting in the waiting room, good thing because she said that the physician liked to meet the spouce, and then she went to get him.  It was really good that he was there, there is a lot of information and if I'm accepted for surgury, it'll affect him just about as much as me! 

Good luck with your appointment!!

Jenn
Kelly-AnneH
on 4/29/11 6:04 pm, edited 4/29/11 6:10 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You don't know yet if you're accepted? Who is your surgeon?

I'm taking Barry partly for moral support, partly so he'll really understand the changes that'll be happening to both of our lives and partly as my back-up memory.

I've spent a chunk of this afternoon reading through the info sheets again, adding notes, circling points that matter to me and confirming that I want the surgery and which one and why that particular one.

If Carlene had held out hope that, with her help, I could get to a healthy weight and learn to stay there, I'd just as soon skip surgery, but 255# isn't even remotely a healthy weight. So - I really don't feel I have a choice other than to pursue surgery. Now I just have to hope that my record of following instructions to the letter and losing my 10% (actually just over 14%) will help Dr Sharma decide in my favour.

I knit when I'm nervous - the more nervous I am the faster I knit. I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot done on my current pair of socks by Monday afternoon!

Man - I just thought - does he tell you if you're approved during the appointment or do you wait by the phone for a decision? Waiting for a date I can handle. Waiting for a decision would really suck.

Kelly-Anne

Adrianna O.
on 5/1/11 10:59 pm - Canada
To the best of my knowledge, they tell you at your appointment yes or no to go ahead to see the surgeon. Then the surgeron has the final say.

I saw Dr. Birch 3 times before he signed me off for surgery. He said yes to surgery on the first visit but because I am so short, he needed to see a bit more weight loss before he would fully sign me off. But at my first visit we decided what surgery I wanted and went through everything and gave me recommendations. The second visit was to see where I was at and finally the third visit I reached his weight loss goal for me and then I was signed off, classes were booked and I was off running, waiting for that call.

Most Active