What?

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/28/11 1:49 am, edited 4/30/11 2:45 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12

2 weeks ago my nurse gave me some info sheets about the different types of WLS available and told me my dietitian would discuss options with me at my next appointment. You can imagine my shock when, at my appointment yesterday, I was told that I'm doing super, super well and that she's expecting me to hit a stall in the next few weeks, and did I know what would happen at that point? Puzzled, I said,"1200 calories?"

Nope - that I was likely to stall out in another 5-7# and at that point I'd stabilize and be done with the clinic - at about 255#. That's down 48# from my top weight and she considers it to be a huge success.

When I caught my breath and asked,"What about surgical options? My nurse seemed to think surgery might be a good option for me." She said she thinks I'd do well with surgery - if I'm willing to accept the risks. She messed with some math and said that with surgery I'd have a decent chance of getting down to 200#. Now really, who in their right mind is going to accept 255 when the carrot of 200 is dangling just out of reach? I don't have a burning need to look like Barbie, but I'm NOT prepared to accept this as the end of the road. I'm fine with waiting in line and jumping through hoops, but I won't accept this as the end.

After some going around in circles she said she'll talk to my nurse about arranging an appointment with a doctor and/or surgeon and someone will be calling me tomorrow with my appointment details.

In the meantime I'm to work on accepting that "I'll never get to a normal weight, and that it isn't my fault - I didn't choose my genes, family history, bone structure etc." I don't CARE about whose fault it is! It isn't about fault, it's about fixing the problem.

She wasn't unkind at all, in fact she kept pointing out that I've done really well, but I just can't accept being done. I still have a picture of getting off BP and cholesterol meds and reducing my chance of getting diabetes - and having a chunk less of myself to haul around. 255# and being on a bunch of pills is NOT success - not to me.

So - I came home, had my planned snack and a decaf (I'm well indoctrinated. I stayed on plan even with this going on) and called my sis for a good blubber. I read through the information sheets again and confirmed that the risks are worth the prize to me. When Barry got home we talked it over and he agrees that I should push for surgery. Today I'll stay home near the phone. I'm sure I can find some cupboards that need turning out.

Sigh... Why can't this be a straightforward path with hoops that make sense?

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Used2Bthin
on 4/28/11 4:11 am - Canada
To be honest I think 200 as a goal after surgery is high.  People tend to loose 20 to 30 in just the first month.  I started out at 253, went to surgery at 244 and my dr said I should end up around 130 - to 145 at the end.  Basically (if I remember correctly)  you take what your weight should be, then you take your weight at surgery.  You should loose 80% of the difference.  That is what I was told. 

Good luck and Great job on the weightloss so far!
     Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat.  Open RNY March 28 2011.  Start weight 253 current weight 122.       
Kelly-AnneH
on 4/28/11 6:42 am, edited 4/28/11 6:42 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
80% would take me down to a totally acceptable 160#. I could definitely live with 200# and the ugly panni off though.

The clinic called and I'm seeing Dr Sharma at 2:15 on Monday. I let Barry (hubby) know and he offered to take time off work and come with me. (is it lame to take him with me?)

Hopefully Dr Sharma will give the go-ahead, then on to the next step. If not (and nothing in the paperwork looks like I wouldn't qualify) I'll work on a plan B. I refuse to accept this as the end.

Kelly-Anne

Karen K.
on 4/28/11 7:53 am, edited 4/28/11 7:53 am - Canada
I think that the final Weight Number  ( they wanted me to be 250 ) and Im way past that..  isnt really whats important.... whats important is .. Having the knowedge that what ever your choices are .. That you know you made the right one.. They give us the 3 and we need to explain why we choose the surgery. Having facts will be a great way to make the surgeon know you did your home work..

Educating Ourselves gives us power. No matter what surgery you choose there are always risks,, but Knowing that their is life after BS is  a great motivator.. As I say.. even with all the crap that happened with mine I would do it again..

As for hubby.. I think its great he has offered to come with you.. Gives you both a better understanding..

Good Luck

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/28/11 8:01 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Thanks Karen,
my memory sucks when I'm nervous, so I'm going to take some time and write out my reasons for wanting surgery, why I want a particular one and my personal goals, health and size-wise. Doing that will also help me calm down and feel prepared for Monday.

Kelly-Anne

Silk911
on 4/28/11 8:50 am
Hi Kelly-Anne,

I'm so damn proud of you!!!!!

Good Luck on Monday!!!

Just as a note... the surgeon will need to see both you and your hubby at the initial consultation. I had to book another appointment with the surgeon cuz no one told me to bring hubby with me...

I don't know how much time your hubby can take off... so I thought I should let you know...

By the way, choose a goal weight without the advice of the clinic... there are soooo many new professionals there that they may not have all of the particular info... for them to say that you're done after a stall and stay at 255 lbs is NUTS!!!!!!!

Not one of the nurses or dieticians that I have ever met at the Weight Wise Clinic would ever have accepted 255 lbs as a Finished weight... There's NO WAY in hell that I would have accepted it either... not even 200 lbs... I have a goal to see a minimum of 160 lbs and damn it.. I'm gonna get there... (it will be the smallest that I have been since the age of 9).

Set a reasonable goal for yourself... talk to Dr. Sharma about it... by the way.. you're so lucky to see Dr. Sharma... he's the director and instigator of the whole program!!!! He doesn't see as many patients now that he used to... he's such a nice man...!!

Melody

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/28/11 9:22 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Thanks Melody,
I sent Barry a message saying it's more important that he be at the appointment with the surgeon, but that both would be lovely. It's so great being married to my very best friend.

My sis will come stay with us for a few days at surgery time. (may as well be optimistic) We're co-committees for our Mum (who lives in a nearby locked dementia facility) and I'll be able to focus on myself better if I don't have to fret about being called to meet her at emerg again. We've had a couple of days in emerg in the last few months that have turned out to be constipation, sigh. I told Ronnie that if nothing happens with Mum she can spend the time shopping (she lives in a tiny town) and entertaining me. She loves all of our shopping and is perfectly happy to spend her evenings watching movies and knitting with me.

The smallest I've ever been as an adult is 140 - and I thought I was fat! I'll be surprised and happy if I can actually get that low, but I think 150 feels about right. I'm sure I'll know my right weight when I get there - and it sure as heck isn't 255!! Under 200 for sure - I'm only "almost" 5'3", after all.

My dietitian is Carlene - not new at all. I really don't know why she said what she did. She wasn't unkind - or certainly didn't mean to be. It isn't her fault that it was like a punch to the solar plexus. I'm glad (and shocked! I'm normally such a wimp) that I pushed as much as I did and got her to refer me up the chain.

I've been reading Dr Sharma's blog for awhile and he seems like a kind, thoughtful sort that I'd be comfortable talking to. I guess I'll be finding out, eh? I'll have my reasons and goals written out before I get there so I won't freeze and sound like an idiot.

Thanks again,
Kelly-Anne

Coopers_mom
on 4/29/11 5:13 am - Canada
My surgeon didn't need to meet my hubby before my surgery.  I went to the appointments alone.  Strange.

FDL Abdominoplasty, Monsplasty, MR, Lipo to Flanks: August 18, 2011

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/30/11 2:42 am, edited 4/30/11 2:42 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
There, I changed my goal to the number on my driver's license (I lied about it 35 years ago and they've never asked since) Imagine actually weighing what your license says you do.

I was also able to update my weight - I've snuck under 260 and have set my sights on the under side of 250. (I am SO not done with this!)

Kelly-Anne

Keelan
on 4/28/11 10:15 am
Kelly-Anne,
God I want to say that is one crazy appointment and I'm so glad that you will be seeing Dr Sharma and I so have my fingers crossed that he will refer you for surgery. I love him and he is absolutely amazing. I was so excited when he approved me for surgery that I wanted to kiss him.

When he approved me for surgery i was told that 30-40% of my excess weight was statically speaking all i would lose and as of today I've lost 62%. I started this journey being 274, surgery day I was 238 and today I'm 177. I personally like to be sitting around 140-150 and hoping that I can get a panni removal as well. My nurse told me last week at my appt that I should concentrate more on maintaining now and at my next appt in august I'd probably get a referral to plastics, the clinic thinks I've exceeded their expectation but hell no I'm not finished yet. I think eventually my body will let me know what it likes and what number works for it.

I'm so proud of how far you've come since I met you at the clinic. Keep rockin it girl and I do hope that someday we can all get together maybe over the summer. I'd never have come this far on my own and all the love and support we all share on the board and in person is a tremendous help.

By the way I think it's an awesome idea to write your questions down for not only Dr Sharma but for the surgeon you will eventually see. He told me I had some good question and thanked me for doing my research. I went to all my appointments alone but once or twice I was asked about family support, well my friends and family don't know only my sister, boyfriend and 1 friend but I had more than enough support from them and all of you guys.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

Most Active