Swallow test

Tige-Girl
on 9/22/11 5:34 am - Canada
So for those of you who have had the pre-op swallow test, do you need someone to drive you home??Do they give you any sort of "relaxant" Drug or just a local throat spray. My husband has come to several Clinic appt's with me but I would rather him save his time off for after surgery. It would be good if he could skip this and I could just go myself..... 
deedee123
on 9/22/11 7:52 am - Canada
Hi Tige-girl,
  Some people have a full endoscopy, others have a barium swallow.  If it's the swallow then go by yourself and it will be fine, disgusting, but fine.   Good luck!  Have some water for in the car after you will want to drown the taste of the white 'crap'.

D.

Referral October 2008 - lost    1st Clinic visit Nov 2010  VSG September 13, 2011  
Weight lost from 1st clinic visit to surgery 100lbs   Goal - 160-180 (I think)
Tige-Girl
on 9/22/11 8:43 am - Canada
Thanks! The water tip to wash the "crap"  I'm sure I will be espcially thankful for! Maybe I'll even toss some mouthwash in my purse for afterwards....I hope you are feeling better?
Dreena G.
on 9/22/11 8:45 am - Canada
Barium swallow is just an xray and you drink junk (barium) and they tilt you around and take pictures of the stomache and espophagus.

If it is your 'scope' or endoscopy then you are sedated and will require someone to drive you home.
The scope is done in the hospital endoscopy unit.

Most Active