Getting frustrated and losing hope

kellie_calgary
on 1/8/12 10:26 pm - Calgary, Canada
I have been wanting to get in the program it seems like forever now. I didn't know what the process was until after the cut off date for referals here in Calgary last year. My doctor seems to believe that giving me a referal to a weight loss clinic will be just as effective for getting in que for surgery  but everything I've read on this site says I have to wait and be refered in May.
Meanwhile I am still dealing with the effects of my diabetes and PCOS, have had to put our baby plans on hold and can hardly sleep because I literally have to pee every 20 minutes and my eurologist says its bc I'm too fat and there is nothing he can do till I lose a large amount of weight.
I feel like it is never going to happen. That I am just going to be 420 lbs for the rest of my life whatever is left of it.
Has anyone else gone through this dispair? 
kellie_calgary
on 1/9/12 6:04 am - Calgary, Canada
I guess someone heard my desperation because in the mail today I recieved a letter saying that I will be starting the Calgary zone Weight Management Program!
I am supposed to attend an information session later this month and then will start a bi-weekly meeting for 3 months.
Is this what the rest of yall have been thru and ended up getting the surgery done?
I am just glad that the wheels are finally moving!
So thankful!!!!
uner
on 1/9/12 9:36 am - Canada
Congratulations on getting the letter. Things are going to start to happen for you. My experience has been a little smoother than yours so far but I live close to Red Deer so that could bea part of the difference.

I also have PCOS and insulin resistance so I want to lose weight soon as well so my window of opportunity doesn't close.  I hear you loud and clear!

Best wishes to you and I hope things start moving faster for you.
kellie_calgary
on 1/9/12 12:32 pm - Calgary, Canada
Thank you for your kind words!
It really sucks to have that internal clock ticking and knowing that you have things you need to take care of with your health before you can start heading down that road of trying for a baby or for me trying for a second baby. I know its for the best though, it just sucks sometimes.

Even though I am extremely happy about the letter I am a bit confused because so many people on here said that in Calgary they only take referals one day a year in May and when they are full that's it you have to wait until next year. So does that mean that I have to complete this program and then file for another program that actually does the surgery in May?
The whole process is a bit confusing, I wish there was a website that explained it a bit better with a flow chart or something to kind of get rid of the conflicting information.

I am pleased that at least the process is started, and am hoping that it is completed in 4-6 months..that is my goal at least and I will work the program and do whatever they say to make sure I comply.

YEAH!!! :D
Mel_Be_Ti
on 1/9/12 12:46 pm
I am hoping for you.  I am hoping that you lucked out like I did by getting a spot in the Alberta weight loss surgical program based on the increased funding the government has put towards the program.  Count your blessings. I don't think you have to wait for May anymore.  Happy New Year.  I wish you all the best.  This is great news and hope.
beccathenewme
on 1/9/12 1:19 pm - Canada
I too was referred to the Calgary weight loss clinic a couple of years ago. All I can say is that I hope that it has changed since then. When I first went to the program i was very excited until they told  us how much was involved. You have to do a whole lot more prep work at the one in Calgary, (at least back then) and I got very discouraged and overwhelmed, they said only 10 percent of the people who came through their program actually made it to the surgery. After the first meeting I didn't go back.

I then found the one at Red Deer hospital, and was amazed at the difference between the two programs. I live in Airdrie but it was well worth the trip. I was referred in Nov 2011 and I am meeting with the surgeon next week. Sooo much easier.

Good luck to you and I hope things go very well for you.

Rebecca
l_fex
on 1/10/12 12:00 am - Calgary, Canada
 You got refered to the red deer clinic in november? Do you live in the Calgary area? if so I was told we could not send our referals in until May 1st.  Let me know, otherwise I will be booking an appointment here asap to have the referal sent earlier!!
l_fex
on 1/10/12 12:09 am - Calgary, Canada
 Just seen the airdrie thing, I'm going in early and giving it a try! If not I will just wait until May 1st.  
beccathenewme
on 1/10/12 12:43 am - Canada
I hope they refer you now! Good luck!!
reidkatrina
on 1/11/12 4:30 am
I live in the Lethbridge area and was wondering how to go about staring the process of being able to get the gastric bypass surgury?
Most Active