Ready? or Not?

kellie_calgary
on 3/7/12 11:20 am - Calgary, Canada
Today I had a meeting with the Psychologist with the Weight Management Program here in Calgary.
After over 20 years dealing with a binge eating problem, the last 2 or 3 years I have worked on getting it under control and let go of the guilt that I associated with food.
Today while meeting with the Psychologist she seems to think that I may not be ready for the surgery this year. I told her that I do not want to go forward with it unless I am ready, but want to do everything in my power to get as ready as I can so that I can get the surgery this year instead of waiting.
I was wondering what others here that have gone through this experience did to get ready for the surgery, mentally. How did you deal with the hunger pains while trying to stick to the 1500 calories a day?

I told her that for the next 2 weeks I am going to focus on keeping my calories under 1500 and remembering to eat 6 times a day, every 3-4 hours. What else can I be doing?

Referral Date: Aug 2011
Start of Weight Management Program: Feb 2012
Highest Weight: 420
Current Weight: 413
Mel_Be_Ti
on 3/8/12 11:25 am

As someone in the Red Deer program eating one cup of food three times a day, I use water, tea and skim milk to stop the feeling of starvation.  I only intake about 700 - 900 calories a day plus exercise every other day (I try). 

I try and keep distracted constantly so I am not tempted to snack.  if I am watching tv I need to do something else as well whether it be online, cross-stitch, paint my nails, etc.

I also keep a food journal...it's mandatory...but it holds me accountable for what I put in my mouth.

Best of luck

Keelan
on 3/9/12 1:42 pm
The number one thing for me was to stay positive . No matter what, you have to want to do this surgery for yourself and it has to be a priority in your life.
So my helpful things were to always journal my food intake and my feelings. I wrote numerous letters to myself weighting out the pros and cons of having surgery and being able to read them later helped me lots. Sometimes we forget how we feel and those letters make it real.
For hunger, honestly some times it's head hunger and not actual real hunger we are feeling so fluids help lots and sugar free jello is an awesome filler. Eating 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day helps with not letting yourself get over hungry as well as adding more low calorie veggies to your meal to bulk up the amount of food you get for the calories a day. Also lowering carbs helped too, right now I'm over eating on carbs and it makes me plateau on my weight loss. After surgery you are living off very little for the first several months, the first 6 months for me were around 600- 750 calories a day and that was pushing it for me.
Stay strong you can do this. Soon you'll look back on this journey and wonder why you didn't do this 10 years ago. Best of luck girl and know you are never alone, we're all here to help.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

kellie_calgary
on 3/9/12 1:54 pm - Calgary, Canada
Thanks so much :D
Referral Date: Aug 2011
Start of Weight Management Program: Feb 2012
Highest Weight: 420
Current Weight: 413
newmom35
on 3/23/12 2:59 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12
Like Keelan said.. Try to stay positive. Things will progress.
Keep your eyes on the prize!!

Best Wishes!

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs               

Most Active