Advise on Surgery Type-Band or sleeve

sidsid
on 3/11/12 9:40 pm
 Seeing Dr. Birch in a week or so, I am not hugely over weight but have several co-morbidities that I need to get under comtrol. Hope he will support the surgery, the WWC team does.
Need to loss 30% of my total body weight.
Have a friend who has share her YNR surgery experiences.
I am considering Band or sleeve. I have read several band forum comments and it doesnt seem too successful and want to know why the quality of live with the band is so bad? and the port- can you feel it? how frequently does one adjust? resurgery rate seems high with it.
The sleeve, ever though more invasive might be better.
I have zero metabolism being in peri-menopause dont really over eat that badly but cant get the weight off.
Not scared of surgery, now the WWC (Edm) has more funding I am sure the time between seeing the surgeon and he surgery will be quick.
Help!
Pls share your band and sleeve weight loss experience?
Cutiegirl01
on 3/12/12 10:14 am - St Albert, Canada
RNY on 06/12/12
 I saw Dr Birch today and went in wanting the sleeve. He seemed to think bypass was a better option for me.  I want to loose between 80-100 pounds. It seemed to me that he favours either the band or bypass. I do have type 2 diabetes so agree that maybe bypass is the way to go.  I'm a little overwhelmed but he says 4-6 weeks until surgery
sidsid
on 3/12/12 10:19 am, edited 3/12/12 10:20 am
 wow did you feel pushed? 80-100 is not that high relative to some...
I need to lose 70 roughly, no diabeteis bot arthritis, hypertension, eek bypass are you scared?
I see you are only 43 BMI I am 37 so we are close. what was the key reason for his preference?
momjan
on 3/13/12 12:44 pm - Canada
Do you research!  Many people regret the band for various reasons...cost of fills, problems with the bands, etc.

RNY was the gold standard for surgery and most recommended.  The newest information shows the DS to be better and perhaps will become the new platinum standard for a lot of reasons.  Less/no malabsorption, no gherelin, lots of other reasons.

RNY is starting to show people getting reactive hypoglycemia after surgery; not happening with DS.

Do you research and then advocate for what you feel will be the best for you; discuss all with your physician.
kellie_calgary
on 3/15/12 9:33 am - Calgary, Canada
After doing a lot of research, if I am offered the surgery I would prefer to get the Sleeve over the band because I believe that is more of a Long term solution, and that I would be able to loose the majority of the weight more quickly with that procedure. I do know people that have the band and it has worked for them, but they did not have as much weight to lose as I do.
Best of luck on what ever surgery you end up going with!
Referral Date: Aug 2011
Start of Weight Management Program: Feb 2012
Highest Weight: 420
Current Weight: 413
Cutiegirl01
on 3/16/12 1:33 am - St Albert, Canada
RNY on 06/12/12
 Dr birch talked about the lack of long term research on the sleeve and if anything happened down the road you had virtually no stomach.  He also thought bypass was better for me because of my type 2 diabetes and hypertension.  
sidsid
on 3/16/12 8:56 am
 I would bet money on the fact I get pointed in the similar direction.
what BMI are you? how much would you like to lose, you getting excited. I would like to hear how you do as I am likely only weeks behind you.
Is that okay?

momjan
on 3/17/12 11:53 am - Canada
I believe there is a 'failed bandsters' forum in the main pages somewhere.. you might want to review/explore that site.

The DS seems to be the newest way to go... sort of a cross between the RNY and the Sleeve...check it out as well.
teenuh
on 3/20/12 7:17 am - Canada
 I was told by Dr Modi (Edmonton WW) that i would be best with the RNY or the VSG....I chose the VSG...it seemed like the less drastic of the two and would still bring me the results that i want.  I have a friend who had the RNY in October '12 and she is happy with her choice....its all personal choice and knowing what you as a person are able to do with your new tool....in the end its not going to be a quick fix....but we can all do it! 

HW:369lbs  SW: 296.4lbs CW: 201lbs GW: 180
Surgery: VSG  Date: January 9, 2013
M1 - 24lbs M2 - 11lbs M3- 13.6lbs M4 -13.4lbs m5 -12lbs m6 -12lbs m7- 7lbs

Most Active