Quite Disappointed

kellie_calgary
on 4/20/12 10:02 am - Calgary, Canada
I am in the Calgary program and today I learned that I will not be chosen for this round of surgery. I will have to wait until later this year to go through all the classes again and  try again for the surgery. I have thought about going to a different program in either Edmenton or Red Deer, but I figure it would be no faster to do that than just to stick it out.

Referral Date: Aug 2011
Start of Weight Management Program: Feb 2012
Highest Weight: 420
Current Weight: 413
teenuh
on 4/20/12 10:08 am - Canada
 awww :(
did they say why?

HW:369lbs  SW: 296.4lbs CW: 201lbs GW: 180
Surgery: VSG  Date: January 9, 2013
M1 - 24lbs M2 - 11lbs M3- 13.6lbs M4 -13.4lbs m5 -12lbs m6 -12lbs m7- 7lbs

Keelan
on 4/20/12 10:42 am
Sorry to hear that but don't give up. I would if i were you get a referral from your family doctor to teh weight wise program in Edmonton. Travelling is a bit of a pain but it's worth it in the end. Good Luck.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

ready4changeAB
on 4/21/12 12:46 pm - Calgary, Canada
I'm sorry to hear that you will have to wait. You must feel discouraged and had your hopes up that it would be this year you would be having the surgery.

My friend was just referred to the Calgary Weight Management program so she will hopefully be in the next intake.

I was to have started the program when you did, in Feb 2012. Ironically, my acceptance letter to the program arrived a week after I scheduled lap band surgery privately at the end of January.

Maybe whoever gets into power in Monday's election, will make sure the Alberta Obesity Initiative really gets the money it needs to help it's tax paying citizens when we need it the most.

All the best to you.. chin up!

Lisa
Tomadou
on 4/22/12 11:45 pm
 I'm sorry to hear that, I was really hoping it would work out for you!  At least this isn't the only chance they give you!  Good luck on your journey -- I know you'll get there eventually! 

When I went to my consultation, they told me that the people who they gave the surgeries to were the people they thought could/really wanted to change their behavior, but just couldn't control their hunger...   Truthfully, I don't know how they could have figured that all out from the meager data we gave them, but... maybe it will help you on your next try?  Good luck!
Denise_in_Calgary
on 4/23/12 1:28 am - Canada
Sorry to hear that Kellie! I meet with the surgeon this week but don't have my hopes up given how few surgeries they have funding for. Maybe I'll see you in the next round of classes!
kellie_calgary
on 4/23/12 10:59 am - Calgary, Canada
I am glad that you have a meeting with the surgeon and I really hope that it goes well for you and you end up getting the surgery. Keep me updated with what happens okay!
They said on Friday that I would not be getting the surgery because they felt like I had a binge eating problem, but I have not binged since I started the program.
I am going to stay eating the way I have been , and continue losing weight and hopefully next round I will get the green light!
-Kel
Denise_in_Calgary
on 4/24/12 7:42 am - Canada
You have the same attitude I have - if they say no to me I am going to keep doing what is working right now and try again next session! 

Hopefully the newly elected government will reinstate the funding they promised to the Calgary program! 
Keelan
on 4/24/12 2:53 pm
Kellie and Denise,
I cannot stress enough for you ladies to try and join the Weight Wise Program here in Edmonton. It is seriously one of the best programs offered in all of Canada. They consist  of a team of Nutritionist, Doctor's, Nurse's and psychologists. These people help you to not only have surgery but to find out why you are obese to start with. They work with you to overcome problems like emotional eating or binge eating, they don't just tell you no to surgery without trying to help you. They offer 10 modules on everything from exercise, healthy eating, stress eating and a 3 part module called Maintaining the change. You have a pre-op modules and a post-op module. It's an amazing program. It has changed a little since I joined but I was a part of a 9 month program and was truly amazed at what I not only learned about obesity but myself. I walked out of there with not only having a gastric sleeve but a new sense of self worth. They were all so professional yet caring, they have all become like family to me. I wouldn't have traded this experience for a million dollars. I sometimes hated the traveling part but I knew I was doing it for all the right reasons. I love the new me and it would have never been possible with out the Weight Wise clinic.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

kellie_calgary
on 4/24/12 4:38 pm - Calgary, Canada
 what is the wait time to get into the pogram?
Most Active