the wait is over - I have a date -May 15th

sidsid
on 5/7/12 8:53 am
 Finally I have a date, on a cancellation I was called, having a RNY on May 15th
So excited, anyone else having surgery that day?
Any words of wisdom? 3 nights stay i hear...
Cutiegirl01
on 5/7/12 12:49 pm - St Albert, Canada
RNY on 06/12/12
 Oh I'm jealous that you got a cancellation.  I have my PAC the day before.  I was told hospital stay was 2 nights.  Best of luck!
kellie_calgary
on 5/7/12 5:04 pm - Calgary, Canada
How exciting!
Hope that all goes well. Let us know how everything goes.

Referral Date: Aug 2011
Start of Weight Management Program: Feb 2012
Highest Weight: 420
Current Weight: 413
Keelan
on 5/8/12 4:39 am
Congrats on getting a date. It's so exciting isn't it. Also the time will go by so fast that before you know it you'll be at the hospital waiting to be wheeled upstairs to the o.r.
Hospital stays can be unpredictable. They usually say 2-3 days but it depended totally on you and your bodies reaction to the surgery. I had some minor complications with my sleeve surgery so I had to stay in a little longer, 5 days to be exact.
Sending you positive thoughts and vibes for an uneventful surgery with no issuesand a quick recovery.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

sidsid
on 5/8/12 12:20 pm
 Thanks Kee,
You are right, time is going fast. PACS clinic today and only 4 more work days left. IF it doesnt get postponed, that's always a risk.

I know this is the right thing to do but certainly remember one terrible thing a person on the RNY forum said... "you are mutilating your organs" makes one wonder doesnt it.

Still I have tried everything else and there are so many sucess stories, last minute jitters I guess.
So tired of being tired and pain in feet and knees, all because they were not designed to carry an extra 100 lbs.

Want to live again and not be ashamed of my body at a party or a couples event.
3 days is what they have told me.
Thanks for the kind thoughts, really helps
Alvina300
on 5/8/12 10:15 am - Canada
HI there
Congratulations!
Can you let me know when you were told originally what day the surgery would be, is it when you meet the surgeon?

I am meeting the surgeon on Thursday for the first time and would like to know the process

Thanks
Alvina
sidsid
on 5/8/12 12:38 pm
 I saw the surgeon and he said nothing other than you will be put on the wait list and called.
The staff guessed 4-6 weeks but I knew it would be longer.

Ask him, every surgeon has a different load ( number on their wait list ).

So you wait for the surgery coordinator to call you.

If you are in Edmonton, the summer is bad as their slates are reduced due to summer vacation. For example my surgeon Birch has two Tuesday a month to perform his bariatric surgeries. So with vacation, his and the other staffing issues he may do one day a month until fall.

If you can talk to Lorraine she could give you a more accurate guess of when it might be. She knows how many ahead of you, if you dont need a pre surgery liquid diet then you could go on a cancellation list. But be ready to go, short notice, PACS clinic etc etc etc.

who is your surgeon? know what you want? RNY/VS/AB? if you dont research read all the forums and decide before you see the surgeon, they will not direct you, you have to decide.
Good luck keep posting okay :)

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/8/12 3:04 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm curious. What made you decide on the bypass rather than the sleeve?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sidsid
on 5/8/12 9:34 pm
 Hi Kelly-Ann, it was an interesting process within a month I went from band to sleeve to RNY. I did a huge amount of research, I read the informal research ( read all the different surgical forums on this site ) , watched all the surgeries on youtube, then looked at the medical research read some 80 different comparitive surgery papers and looked at long term outcomes world wide. I looked at the revision rates and complication rates for all three surgeries.

What I cae out with was that because the sleeve is relatively new, it lacked the research data to show long term success. The gold standard (RNY) seemed to be the best for all outcomes, the idea of malabsorbsion bothered me but the more I looked into it the less the malnutriten seemed to be true. So I went in to see the surgeon well prepared and hoping he would direct me in one direction or another. He didnt but he eleviated my fears about the RNY, so that what I finally decided on.

Many responses to my questions ( on this web site ) on which direction to go, stressed the 'do the research".
I was lucky enough to be in the med. field so I could read the heavy medical research. I encourage you to do as much research as possible, informal ( from those who have had the surgeries  ) and formal from medical publications. ( avoid the sites that "sale" the surgeries )

If you are in Edm. WWC offers the names of a few patients who are prepared to talk to you about their surgeries.
Good luck

Keelan
on 5/9/12 2:52 am
We all make our decisions based on our lives and our research but being a sleeve patient I have to tell you that there is over 40 years of research on the sleeve  as it was being done in the 1970 in Europe.
The sleeve process is the first procedure they do when a patient has a duodenal switch. They used to in extreme cases where the patient needed to loose an extreme amount of weight usually over and above 200 pounds. Then they do the second procedure when it was deemed more safe and that's when they rerouted the bowels. Any procedure that re-routed the bowels will cause malabsorption to a degree which promoted more weight loss.
When I consulted with Dr. Sharma and Dr. Birch about my options they absolutely  reassured me that they wouldn't recommend a procedure be done and nor would they do a procedure on a patient without there being the medical and scientific data to correlate with surgery and statistics.
Anyway just my 2 cents worth and I agree totally that we all need to do our research and the more of us that share our experiences the better it is.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

Most Active