Ensure HP vs Store Brand HP drink

kellie_calgary
on 6/11/12 3:57 am - Calgary, Canada
So the Calgary program used to use the OptiFast or whatever program but have switched over now to the Ensure High Protein shake 4 xdaily + certain veggies before surgery. I have to do this for 4 weeks prior to my surgery and yesterday I went to the store to check out the shake prices to estimate how much it would cost for all of the shakes I would need and I compared the nutritional content from both the Ensure HP and the Store Brand HP drinks and they are identical.
I was wondering if in the Edmenton program they allow you to use the store brand drinks instead of the Ensure or if they are strict about it. Also how do you find the taste of the respective brands?
Thanks yall!
Referral Date: Aug 2011
Start of Weight Management Program: Feb 2012
Highest Weight: 420
Current Weight: 413
Kelly-AnneH
on 6/11/12 4:47 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My pre-op diet is different, so I can't comment on what brand to use, but you could buy a store one and take it to your dietitian for approval. The important thing is to follow instructions exactly. Not only will you drop a tidy sum of weight, but the glycogen stores in your liver will get used up, making it smaller, so your surgery will be much easier and safer.
I can tell you some ways to help get them down. I have a Keurig coffee maker and have found that dumping my shake into a big mug and zapping it for a minute, then making a 6oz cup of coffee into the mug (or earl grey tea with a vanilla shake - yum) gives me a yummy latte instead of yet another boring shake.
You can also make your shake into a frappe by putting it in the blender (Magic Bullet is great for this) with ice and some instant coffee or a sugar free syrup. (you can buy them at Starbucks, Second Cup and the Grocery People)
It sounds like you should be grateful for the change from Optifast. Scuttlebutt is that Optifast is vile. I haven't found a lot of difference in taste between the other brands.
My challenge is giving up caffeine, which I'll have to do until 3 months after surgery. I only drink 2 cups of regular a day now, but I'll miss them. I really can't tell the difference in taste with plain coffee, but all of the fancy flavours only come in regular. Darn.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sidsid
on 6/11/12 10:55 am
 Hi Kelly-Anne 
where did you get the zero flavour whey protein, will have to hide it in food, not even getting close to enough with this nausea
J
Kelly-AnneH
on 6/11/12 2:58 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Hi Jan,
The brand is LeanFit and I bought it in a 2 kilo jar at Costco. If you're on the north side I could drop some off for you to try.
I just checked online and apparently Superstore also carries it in a smaller size.
Kelly-Anne

sidsid
on 6/11/12 10:53 am
 Hi Kellie, the President's choice brand HP is identical to Boost and Ensure and a fraction of the regular price of boost and ensure. Another tip ensure has a club where they send you coupons ($4.00 OFF A 6 PACK,no expiry) so wait until ensure goes on sale then use the coupons. the more you use the more they send.
I have to use the choc. HP drink in coffee (50/50) otherwise I gag on the sweetness. My WWC dietician could care less what brand I drink, just compare your labels.

teenuh
on 6/11/12 10:59 pm - Canada
 You can also get unflavored protein powder at GNC...and Beneprotein behind the counter at london drugs and Shoppers...

I was told that those Ensure's were NOT good, even tho they are low sugar they are still way to full of sugars...but i'd just ask you office if there is other liquids you could have....

I dont have a pre op diet at all, (minus the night before)...so i'm not 100% sure...but i'd imagine any high protien liquid diet would be ok...but check with your doctor/nurse/dietician beforehand

HW:369lbs  SW: 296.4lbs CW: 201lbs GW: 180
Surgery: VSG  Date: January 9, 2013
M1 - 24lbs M2 - 11lbs M3- 13.6lbs M4 -13.4lbs m5 -12lbs m6 -12lbs m7- 7lbs

Mel_Be_Ti
on 6/17/12 9:25 am
 I'm in the Red Deer program. We were told Ensure and Boost are too sugary. We were recommended premier nutrition premade shakes. 30 g of protein...low cal and 1 g of sugar
Kelly-AnneH
on 6/17/12 12:27 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I found those innocuous as to taste but truly nasty in texture. (sort of half gelled) the only way I can get them down is by dumping them in the blender with ice and some sort of flavour.

Gizzys
on 6/18/12 1:12 am - Canada
I found after a few months I got really sick of the protein shakes I was making.  I bought the Premier Nutrition premade drinks at Cost****hocolate) and they have been a life saver.  I drink one a day now for breakfast.  A little expensive, but it works for me so I bite the bullet.

Is even Boost Diabetic considered too sugary?  It's what my dietician recommended to drink post surgery.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Most Active