Nauseous feels like I'm pregnant tastebuds are not the same

kiki47
on 8/15/12 8:47 am - Fort Saskatchewan, Canada

Does anyone share that they have trouble with their tastebuds... I can't even handle drinking water. I am struggling with some of my foods and even to take my vitamins. I can't stand the taste of water have to put something in it but that doesn't help ither. I phoned the revision clinic and spoke to the dietician and she said that there has been a few people who have experienced the same thing... and it should last about a month... ugh!  Even trying to get my protein drinks down are tough.. and we know how important it is to have protein...
If you have experienced this what have you done to get through it...

mornings
on 8/15/12 11:23 am - Canada
sorry to hear your going thru that   have you tried MIO in your water   its actually not bad i find it better then even crystal light  depending on how much  you need in it   to drink    just a suggestion and i do hope things get better for you
kiki47
on 8/15/12 11:34 am - Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
Thank you I have tried it and it's not bad... but because I can't drive and no one around to take me to the store I'm stuck with the crystal light... which I like... but I truly feel like I did with pregnancy nausiation (i know its spelled wrong but i think you get it) lol
just a cup of tea makes me gag...
A friend is coming by and I am going to get some gravol and hopefully... that will work
Its hard to cause I can't drive and I'm a ways from the store so I can't just walk there it sucks...
I feel good though that I can chat with others like yourself to get ideas and because we are all going or will be going through the same types of surgeries and share our ups and downs...
So thank you for replying and I will get someMIO and try it again...
have a super day!

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/15/12 12:01 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You're normal. I didn't have nausea past the first 3 days, but I did have a hard time finding anything that tasted ok to drink. Broth went down the easiest, then herb tea. Most other things tasted pretty awful, including most protein drinks.

Remember - fluids are the MOST important thing going down your gullet right now, so drink whatever you have to to keep hydrated. Dehydration can kill you, and even minor dehydration will make you feel nauseated, woozy and exhausted. So - not drinking because something tastes yucky is a no-go. Find a way - sugar free slurpies, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, Mio, herb tea - hot or cold, iced coffee, broth, V8 juice (one of the few things I liked), milk, whatever it takes.

Protein is second. Important, but not as important as fluids. What did your dietitian say was your protein goal? What are you allowed to eat?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

kiki47
on 8/15/12 12:47 pm - Fort Saskatchewan, Canada

She said about 75-84grams of protein a day. I'm to start introducing all foods into my diet but its all a struggle..
I try but I throw it up. I try everything I can but it helps to get the advice of others going through the same.. I am 3 weeks post op so it really scares me... the dietician did say it could last up to a month... ugh... it's like being pregnant all over again... NOT fun for sure! but will take your advise and go from there... thank you again this is all helpful for sure.

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/15/12 2:51 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm supposed to get at least 70 grams myself, so I understand your struggle. I've also only missed that target only once since day 4, so I know it's possible to get it in - even with our tiny tummies. (mine is named Fred)

Ok, advice from someone 7 weeks out. Starting to introduce all foods doesn't mean introduce them all at once or to eat huge amounts of them. Remember when your kids were babies and you introduced new foods one at a time and just a wee bit? Well you have a new, baby tummy (regardless of which surgery you had) and you need to be gentle with it.

What size of meals are you trying to eat? My limit is generally about 1/2 cup of dense food, 3/4-1 cup of soup or yogurt. If I eat more Fred sends it back. I've learned to listen carefully to Fred.

Are you drinking with or immediately after meals? Either of those can make you vomit. When you're told to not drink with meals or for some time after there are good reasons.

How often are you introducing new foods? If you need to, cut back to ONLY foods you know will sit well, then add a small amount of a single new food every couple of days. That way you know if a particular food is a problem.

Let's say dairy sits fine and today you add a couple of bites of soft chicken. It goes well, so now you eat dairy and chicken every day. In 1-3 days you try a little broccoli - oops! That got sent back - try broccoli again in a few weeks. In 1-3 days let's try carrots. Those go well, so now you regularly eat dairy, chicken and carrots - and so on. It sounds super slow, but the new foods actually add up fairly quickly - and food you up chuck doesn't provide a whole lot of nourishment.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

kiki47
on 8/15/12 5:26 pm - Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
Thank you so much for your input... it definetly helps I will note what to do. I know I get about a 1/4cup - 1/2cup of food but closer to the 1/4cup of food. I am not rushing at eating all different foods but working a bit at a time. I am eating soup mostly cause I it goes down and have no issues to eat it.other then the last couple of days. I did get some gravel and so hopefully that will help so I can get my food intake.and get rid of the nausiation I feel.
i did get some turkey, chicken and tuna so hopefully I can eat that.. I plan on having the tuna with crackers... which I love.. I also go some ensure with the high protein content, so that will help with the intake as well
I can't thank you enough I really appreciate your input to what I can try and what to watch for.
thanks again
oh and no I don't have have a nick name for my tummy as of yet but will come up with something...
Spark101
on 8/15/12 5:48 pm - Canada
I live close to you (in the Park) so if you need me to pick something up for you, just email me [email protected]

Spark101
on 8/15/12 5:49 pm - Canada
Lol - to clarify (for others), that's a town.... not that i live in a park.
kiki47
on 8/16/12 8:45 am - Fort Saskatchewan, Canada

Thank you, I appreciate it... I'm good for now. My gf came and took me to the store and I picked up what I needed.
I will keep you in mind if I run into problems if I need to get to the store.
thank you again for your kindness!

Most Active