Aftercare Post Op Mexico

Merk2017
on 11/28/13 11:05 pm

Hi everyone. I am from Edmonton and have decided to have my VSG done in Mexico. I have done extensive research, attended support groups, and met with people who have gone and therefore am satisfied with my decision. I am using Dr. Joya in PV Mexico, I go on Feb 2, 2013.  

A little about me. I went through the weight wise program at the Royal Alex, spent a little over 1 year there and the end result was being denied for VSG due to the fact that I was doing "to well" on the program (which I think is complete BS). Anyways, the final step in my journey was meeting with my family dr to validate my decision and ensure that aftercare would be provided. He was discouraging to say the least, and was also clueless on the type of aftercare that is to be provided after surgery. My question is, has anyone here that has gone through the Mexico option received adequate after care in Edmonton or surrounding cities? If so what kind of aftercare is actually required? Also is there any other resources here or close by that I could tap in regards to follow up and aftercare?

Xcalibur2572
on 11/29/13 12:07 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

Merk:

With all due respect, if you have already researched the Mexico options, selected your surgeon, and set the date, you should know exactly what is required for after care.  If your surgeon hasn't provided that information yet for what they see as being needed, that would raise a red flag in my mind.

There are a few people on OH-AB that have gone through exactly what you have including the Weight Wise denial.  So, hopefully, they can give you some guidance.

Cheers!

- Xcalibur

Keelan
on 11/29/13 12:45 pm

I hope some of the ladies that have gone the Mexico route reply to your post.

All I can offer you is to be sure to have blood work done before surgery and then every 3-6 after surgery. Things such as iron, b12, vitamin d, protein levels, hemoglobin are important as you can easily become deficient. Start taking a multi vitamin now and if you have went through the clinic you will know that seeing a dietitian is key. Give up drinking you calories, no juices or pop.

Good Luck.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/29/13 2:21 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I was denied surgery here too, with the reasoning that I was already an outlier in the amount I'd lost (45#) and was unlikely to lose more than another 10-15# if I had surgery. I weighed 258# that day - 187# today.
Anyway, my family doctor here has been great, and wonderfully supportive, although he wasn't sure what I'd need in the way of aftercare. (Bless him - he was worried I'd be in pain on the way home and gave me a scrip for 100 Tylenol 3s. I didn't need a single pill, but I appreciated his concern)
My surgeon was able to give me a rough schedule of what was needed - barium swallow at 6 months, blood panel at the same time, again at 1 year, then annually. (Ask for a copy of your results - your doctor is your partner, not your Mom)
Your surgeon should give a diet progression program - generally more conservative than through the program here - follow it! (the better known surgeons in Mexico have done a LOT more WLSs than the surgeons here. Mine has done over 1800 sleeves)
Know ahead of time what to watch for - dehydration (common), leak (rare, but does happen), stricture, UTI (common if you're having trouble drinking). Be aware that any meds you're on may need adjustments - I was off my BP meds within a few weeks of my surgery, as was my hubby.
Make sure your family also knows what to watch for. I got a UTI - only symptoms were wooziness and not being able to string together a coherent sentence. Actually, I had a UTI AND needed off my BP med. My BP was 90/60, which, for me, combined with the UTI, made me seriously loopy. A few days of antibiotics and no BP meds and I was a new woman.
Ask anything - I'm happy to answer questions.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Xcalibur2572
on 11/29/13 8:53 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

I would also add infection as something to be aware of.  Assuming it will be laproscopic, the risk is low, but it does happen. I say this am currently dealing with an infected incision from my reconstructive surgery. I've been on IV therapy for the past 3 days and will continue for another 3. Yes, it's a nasty infection. 

Cheers!

- Xcalibur

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/30/13 1:30 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Alex is right. Although infection of laparoscopic incisions isn't common it's sensible to watch for it. Any fever or unusual heat, swelling, increasing redness, pain or streaks of red/pink fanning out from any of your incisions means get your butt to your GP.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Spencerella
on 11/30/13 12:46 pm, edited 11/30/13 1:04 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I had VSG surgery in Mexico just over a year ago. I had no complications and have been maintaining 100+% EWL for 4 months now.

My family physician was happy to pick up my medical aftercare and was glad I went to Mx because I would never have received surgery here. Although my doc had not done sleeve aftercare, she had plenty of experience with bypass aftercare. It was an easy transition for her. 

All the nutritional advice you'll need is discussed regularly on the VSG Forum here on OH.  And pretty much everything else you'll need to know too. So no worries - you can SO do this. Lots of us from Alberta who went to Mexico are doing very well and we will be here for you too. PM me any time. 

I can't tell you how much it upsets me that people in local programs are penalized for doing too well. The programs really have a lot to learn in that regard. So go take your life back and forget about the people who should have helped you but didn't have the foresight to recognize how successful you will be with the aid of your sleeve. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active