Diabetic Question???

tina0226
on 6/11/03 8:37 am - Greenwood, IN
I am a diabetic ... does anyone know what your points can be for Dr. Zahn to do your surgery. I had my 3 month check and my levels were 8.3. I am now on medication but am afraid if it continues to be this high that he will not do my surgery.
cindy
on 6/11/03 9:08 am - Mesa, az
I am pre-op and have my surgery August 6th with Dr. Zahn. When I had my first consultation, my blood sugars were 7.7 and he did not say anything. I have heard that your blood sugars have to be below 8.0 or they will not do the surgery. I think with blood sugars 8.0 or higher would have the danger of you going into a diabetic coma. The surgery itself puts stress on you. Are you on insulin? I was on insulin and Actos, the doctor took me off the Actos, because it was causing bad swelling and was effecting my liver. I have been on straight insulin Novolin 70/30 and what I did was increase my insulin so that my numbers would be lower, and it has worked. I am now 7.1, I figure if I have to take more insulin to get my blood sugars down, so I can have the surgery than that is what I have to do, you need to get your numbers down, ask your doctor about putting you on insulin or increasing your insulin. From what I hear after the WLS most people that have diabetes can stop with diabetes meds alltogether. The diabetes never goes away, but in most cases it goes into remission. About two years ago my blood sugars were 9.6, I felt so bad, now with the lower numbers I feel so much better, so when you get your numbers below 8.0, you will feel so much better, and that would be better for you. Tina, on a different note, I never received a RSVP for my Get Together on July 27th, I hope you can come, I would love to meet you. If you did not receive the email I sent to you, please go to the AZ message board and read about the Get Together.
Mary J.
on 6/17/03 4:01 am - Huachuca City, AZ
Dr Zahn has the blood test run 1-2 weeks before surgery to insure your blood sugar level is 8.0 or below. It is very important to talk with your PCP before increasing your diabetes medication. I am now 5 months post-op - as of tomorrow. Before surgery, I was on insulin and also oral meds for my diabetes. Within 3 days of surgery, Dr Zahn had me off the oral meds and the insulin. Last week my level was 5.1 and by blood glucose runs between 70 - 85 each day. As my PCP says, I may not have the diabetic symptoms now, but once a diabetic, always a diabetic. So I still check my glucose level every day. Take care, Mary Lynn 382/282/160 1/29/03
Most Active