"You've already rolled the dice, Wayne..."

Wayne R.
on 8/19/03 10:30 am - Phoenix, AZ
I am in shock, and I'm apalled. Moreover I'm frightened for the first time in years about my future. I just had my first appointment with my Cigna Primary Care Physician. I was quite candid with him about my symptoms and my concerns; I mentally bit my lip and told him about the urinary incontinence and my inability to perform even limited movements without my heart racing and going short of breath. I told him about a lot of other things too, but put those out as my major concerns. He said he had to check my prostate, asked me to drop my drawers to my knees. Then he eyed the "target" area and said he doubted he'd be able to "get in there". After a few more indignities I won't mention here, he ordered an EKG, chest x-ray, blood work and referred me to urology. He also informed me that after this I would be labelled a "high utilization patient" and the premiums to my employer would be "jacked up". He also suggested I join Weigh****chers although he projected a 95% chance of failure based on his study and experience. His prognosis was that I would gain back everything I lost plus more within a year. He also brought up bariatric surgery, commenting that mostly it was done so the surgeon could collect his $50,000 fee (!) and that of the 14 patients he had treated who had received the procedure most weighed over 300 lbs now. I asked how that could be possible, he said they refused to follow instructions. He went on to say that many more had chronic diarrhea and that two had died within a few months of the surgery. I asked the cause and he smiled slightly and said, "Malnutrition, intestinal inversion, various causes..." I asked about laproscopic band surgery and he quickly replied, "Same thing." As the consult was ending, I reiterated my concern for my exertion in walking from my car to my workstation daily and told this doctor I had chest pains about every other time. I said I was worried about having a heart attack or stroke trying to walk to my desk. He told me that was what we would cover when we reviewed the test results in 3 or 4 weeks. Then I looked in his eyes and asked, "What about in the meantime, doctor? Do I just roll the dice with my life until then?" With eyes devoid of any compassion and a slight, superior smile on his lips he replied, "You've already rolled the dice, Wayne." Anybody know a good lawyer who specializes in making these smug *******s miserable?
J M.
on 8/19/03 10:53 am - AZ
I feel bad for you and I hope that you can do something to make Cigna realize how awful they are. Have you thought about the AZ Insurance Commisioner. I am not sure if it will help, but it might be a start. I have a friend who had cigna. Her son was sick for almost a year. The jerked her around , told her son was faking headaches, and throwing up to get attention. They refused him a CAT Scan. She finally went on her own and paid for a scan. It turned out he has a brain tumor. I hear bad things about Cigna so often , I wish you luck and will ask my friend if she ever followed thru with a lawsuit.
lemarie22
on 8/19/03 12:30 pm - Glendale, AZ
Hi Wayne, I'm so sorry that you had to deal with such a jerk. I don't know where you are located, but my Dr. takes Cigna HMO, but is not in one of their clinics. His name is Don Barlow and he's at 43rd Ave and Northern. I've been very pleased with him and he's supportive of wls. My only complaint is that he sucks at letter writing, which he freely admits. After I moved to Phoenix, I changed doctors several times until I found one that I liked. I figure that if you're putting your hands in someone's life, you should feel that they are taking that trust seriously. Good luck. Connie
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/03 3:27 pm - El Mirage, AZ
OMG!!?? Find a new Primary...FAST!!! It's enough to have to deal with the IDIOTS for surgery approval!!! Wayne, where are you located??? I see my CIGNA PCP off 59th and Thunderbird. (Dr. Sha) Another EXCELLENT Dr. is Dr. Barbara Falta....she HAD this surgery. I have seen her more than my OWN pcp, as Dr. Sha just had a baby and it just now returning to the office. PLEASE, you owe this to yourself. I really don't care if the Surgeon made a MILLION off the insurance co., we are ALL worth it, and so are YOU!!! (and I'll bet the little ***** is as big around as my left thigh, too) SO SORRY to hear of the way he treated you, pls, let us know, OK? Michelle
Donna M.
on 8/20/03 8:49 am - Avondale, AZ
Oh Wayne....FIND A NEW PCP STAT!!!! your doctor is a BOZO!!!!! but believe it or not there are very caring and kind Doctors at Cigna. I go to Cigna Clyde Wright Center at 7th st and McDowell. My pcp is Dr. Landon Hoecker...he is AWESOME!!! also Dr. Parens there has been very successful in getting folks approved for bariatric surgery. It is humiliating being an obese person to go to the dr and bare your soul...but what that Dr. did to you was at very minimum distasteful. I would file a complaint with the Medical Board for unprofessional behavior....
suzcar51
on 8/21/03 8:20 am - Somewhere in, AZ
Wayne, I too agree with the others to find another PCP. My first PCP told me she would in no way support WLS. She painted a grim picture much like the uncaring, unfeeling "doctor" you saw. I had researched WLS via this website and knew this little "doctor" (who weighed probably 95 lbs soaking wet) was extremely bias. I got another PCP at another facility and he recommended me on my first visit with him. He left Cigna at the end of last year to go into private practice as his opinion of Cigna was not great. I now have a new PCP - Bradley Lawrence, who I am educating. When I saw him after WLS, at my "I want to meet my new doctor appointment" I came right out and asked his opinion on WLS. He was honest and said it didn't know much about it and probably wouldn't think it was a good idea. I'm still going to him even though he said this. I was readmitted 4 weeks post op for a UTI, diverticulities and spleen infaction. Dr. Bradley was very diligient in talking with me and even called after hours to check on me. So I am going to cut him some slack. But trust me, if at any time I feel I am not being listened to or being criticized for having WLS by him - jus****ch my smoke as I find another PCP.
Jessmac
on 8/21/03 4:15 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Two words: Dr. Roberto Ruiz. Okay, that's three words if you count the "Dr." Anyway, Dr. Ruiz is a Cigna PCP who works out of St. Lukes. He is a HUGE proponent of WLS, and a pretty agreeable kind of guy. Best of luck. I am so sorry you were so abused by a so-called healer.
Southwest D.
on 8/25/03 3:41 am
I used to live in Phoenix and I can tell you that there are other doctors out there who are Cigna PPO.....CALL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE TOLLFREE NUMBER AND CHANGE YOUR PCP RIGHT THIS MINUTE!! Get a doctor who can see you within a week or two; you have things that need to be treated by a sane and competent physician. This person has absolutely no idea what he is doing....don't waste your breath or your money on getting back at him; just get out. I'm really sorry you had to endure this awful creature for even one second--no matter what, you deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
Patti H.
on 8/25/03 1:54 pm - Tucson, AZ
Wayne, I'm just heartbroken for you and your experience with that doctor. There are caring doctors. Find one, and do it soon! Patti in Tucson
Most Active