Finished my pre testing

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/06 11:17 pm - Victoria, Canada
As of yesterday, I have finished all my pre testing. Dr. M had asked me to see and endocronologist, a psychologist, nutritionalist and get a chest xray and arterial blood gas test done. Yesterday I saw the nut. and got the chest xray done. I had a great session with the nutritionalist. She gave me a "hunger scale" chart which I have posted on my fridge just to give myself a little awareness nudge. This weekend I was eating a large bowl of oatmeal and my tummy was sending me messages indicating that it was full but my brain said "no way, there's still half a bowl left" so I kept eating. I am gonna have to sit down with that "food hamster" in my head and have a little talk. LOL I am feeling anxious about the chest xray results. On my first go round for WLS in 98, when I went to the endocronologist he discovered that I had thyroid cancer. Thank god I went to him for a pre test but still I am feeling butterflies in my tummy over the chest xray. Time will tell. I am thinking I will wait and call Dr. M's office in about 2 weeks to make sure they have all my test results. Maybe then I can get my name put on the waiting list. That would be awesome. Hope everyone in OH BC land is having a great day. Janice
zarah
on 8/29/06 12:34 am - Kelowna, Canada
Hi Janice, Congratulations on finishing all your testing! It's one step closer to your surgery. You talk about the food hamster you have in your head, well I have one too! I bet they are related. It was an eye opener when I went to the dietician also. I am trying very hard to eat differently than before and am very aware of when I am not making proper choices. I am also working on snacking I can't figure out what to do with my overwhelming desire for sugars. I know I can't have them after and am trying now to stop so it won't be so tempting after. Portion size is a also biggie for me. I am eating plain non fat yogurt with vanilla and splenda that I put in it. Janice, I'm sure that your testing will all come back saying your ready for surgery. I can only imagine how devastating it must have been to learn of your cancer when you were trying so hard to have life surgery. I believe there is someone watching over you to make sure you get to have your surgery. Sarah
Miraluia
on 8/29/06 12:55 am - Ferndale, WA
GRATS on the pre-testing! Im still working on getting my BC medical in place and a general practioner that is accepting new clients who is interested more in my health then promoting then next diet drug. As for that rabbid hamster? Without a joke.. buy smaller bowls and plates. If you have no room in the bowl for a larger portion it might help. Ive taken to making it so there isnt spare foods loose in my home. Its helping my kids learn the right things to do as well. Does anyone know where you can get a list of post op diet recomendations? Im worried they are going to take away my caffeine. And anyone happen to know what to do about soda pop addiction? I know carbonation is out period after surgery. Carbonation expands the stomach in ways I wish I knew EONS ago.
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/06 11:40 am - Victoria, Canada
Hello Kristen, Thank you for your suggestion to use smaller bowls. Part of me likes the idea but the food hamster is not happy about it. I hope you have success at finding a compatible family physician up here. Are you moving to BC? or have you already moved? Here's a good site for post op dietary info http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/wei_los_faq/ Soda pop challenges ...hmmm what if you drank one water between each pop? That might cut back on the amt of pop you consume? Good luck Janice
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/06 11:18 am - Victoria, Canada
Hello Sarah, It was my family physician who encouraged me to get the last of the tests done, right after I answered "whatever!" to finding out I had gained a pound. He is 100% in support of this surgery for me and is doing an awesome job of helping me stay motivated. When I want sugar, I make one of those sugar free puddings or eat, 70% cocoa, dark chocolate from the health food store. Thank you for your encouraging words regarding my test results. I am very hopeful that my current physical health is good and will post here if I find out otherwise. The xray tech said she would be sending a copy of the results to my family doctor. I am watching for signs from the universe that I should not have this surgery and I have not seen any so far. Yahoo How do you get rid of a food hamster who thinks it's the alpha dog? He's been in charge for the past 35 years or more. Right now, I am encouraging the self care hamster and the self discipline hamster to take a more active part in this production. They have been on vacation for the past 35 years. The things I have to do to psyche out that food hamster. Good to know you are still out there plugging away at your life challenges, Sarah. Take Care Janice
zarah
on 8/29/06 2:06 pm - Kelowna, Canada
Hi again Janice, Thanks for the non-sugar suggestions. I was in Super Store today and started looking for different things to eat. I found quite a few. Also the site you suggested is great and I will be printing the info. I have also gotten the Pouch rules for Dummies print-out from the net. I have been on Dr. Amson's site and there are quite a few items that the people on there have spoken of. I too will have to encourage the positive hampsters. All the signs are pointing go ahead, now I just have to be willing to do everything I can to be a success. We have been given a great life changing opportunity. The Universe has already shown you it's your turn. Look how fast everything has progressed. There have been no road blocks. Also that 1 pound you gained was anticipation and determination which weighs like muscle not fat. Sarah
Sim W.
on 8/29/06 5:13 am - Vancouver, Canada
Dear J. B. That's wonderful news and you got your appts all done so fast. Way to go! Your tests will be okay, try not to worry. I still have to have an ultrasound on my heart as I took those redux/fe fen pills almost 10 years ago so the cardiologist wants to make sure there is no damage to my heart valves. I have my scope scheduled for next Wed- yuck and the dietician is not until Sept 26th at UBC. I am hoping there might be a cancellation for that one so I can get in earlier. But I did get my blood work, psychologist appt and cardiologist appt finished already so that's good. Once that is all done, I will call Dr. M's office to go and see him and hopefully get on the list asap. Thanks for sharing your experience. Take care Sim from Vancouver
(deactivated member)
on 8/29/06 11:29 am - Victoria, Canada
Hello Sim, Thank you for your encouraging words and I hope that your ultrasound results show that your valves are working great. When is the ultrasound scheduled for? Before you know it, all your tests will be done and you will be cheering on those constructions workers at the Vancouver General so that Dr. M and his fellow surgeons can begin their part. See you on the boards. Janice
Sim W.
on 8/29/06 1:50 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi J.B, Thanks for your reply and kind words. My scope is scheduled for Wed. Sept 5th at UBC hospital. I hope they just knock me out as I am a gagger and I have been reading what others went thru and it does not sound comfortable at all. I am not really worried about my heart valves as I know so many individuals who took those pills and they all turned out fine plus the cardiologist who tested me told me that I had a 100% oxygen level and that my blood pressure was fine too. This is just a precaution just in case. It's just the waiting that makes me crazy! But I am getting excited and know that pretty soon I'll be like you just waiting for that phone call about our WLS dates! take care, Sim
Most Active