2nd consult appt with Dr. Meneghetti

Sim W.
on 10/30/06 11:06 am - Vancouver, Canada
Hi everyone, Well I had another consult with Dr. M to discuss things and talk about the WLS in general and find out where we go from here. Sorry, I do not have any good news to tell you guys. I want to stay positive but I really felt depressed and pretty down after what he said today. This is what he said: I am waiting for OR time to be able to do the surgeries. Everything is ready to go but unfortunately, it is the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority that is holding things back. They do not feel that the surgeries are important or necessary. He said he has been in consultation with them a few times and it is like hitting his head on a brick wall, he is not getting anywhere. He suggested that we write letters to the health authority and keep doing that to hopefully make an impact to the decision makers. I do have the key names and Janice is going to look up their contact information and then we will pass the information to everyone. I think we should really get together and talk about strategy in small groups depending where one lives and how to go about doing this so it has the most impact. This is what I suggest we do: We get together in our support groups that meet monthly and discuss this in detail. The support meetings are usually facilitated by a few individuals who should be contacted and informed of what is happening. We need people to write letters and send them to the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. We should put together some template letters to share among the support groups and these websites so we can get as many people to help write as possible. Maybe 1-2 people in each support group can take the lead on this and pass on the contact information so everyone can write and send. It would be better if the letters were done individually. What do you all think? Now here is some more news to chew on: Dr M. also said that he basing the decision to picking which patients go first on their BMI. The lower the BMI the sooner they will go. This did not sit well with me. He said that patients with lower BMI would have less of a risk in the operating room and have a better success rate.( Janice correct me if I am wrong here is that what he told you? ) Probably, the Coastal Health Authority is terrified that someone may die on the table. Who knows?? Also Janice asked Ann how many patients are now waiting for WLS with Dr. M and she was told only about 20? That did not make sense. So if that's the case, we will need more people from other places and who have other doctors, or anyone who can write what the surgery did for them to write letters. My goal is to try and send as many letters as possible. I don't mind contacting everyone on Dr. Amson's website- there are a lot of people there and I don't think they will mind helping. Any thoughts? Well that's it folks, you heard the latest news directly from the horse's mouth so to speak. I think it important to stay positive but we also need to be realistic here. Sorry, I don't believe that the WLS will be happening any time soon. Do you guys have any other suggestions, and lurkers you know who you are please share too please. This is important and more heads thinking and brainstorming are better than a few. Sim from Vancouver
bman78
on 10/30/06 12:17 pm - Burnaby, Canada
WOW, this an unfortunate turn of events. dont' really know what to say.
bman78
on 10/30/06 12:30 pm - Burnaby, Canada
thinking more and more about this, how can the Van Coastal Health Auth. justify saying that if the BC Government is allowing this procedure to be done in Victoria on a regular basis.
Sim W.
on 10/30/06 1:09 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Why are we doing these damn tests anyway. If Dr. M. says he can't do the surgeries then why bother and spend tax payers money for those pre-op tests. What is the point of that??? Oh, I am so mad, I can scream!! Are we just guinea pigs and there for using as political pawns on a chess set. I did not want to **** him off today but I am so angry right now and wanted so badly to say something. Also he does not display any enthusiaism or ***** in the discussion. There was no fire in his belly so to speak like when I talk about WLS. This is our life here they are fooling around with!!!! I am now looking into possibly going to Mexico for WLS and will also look into getting it paid for MSP and going down to the States. Thanks for the tip Sarah. By, the way, I asked him about the media today and he said..oh no that should be as a last resort. But I don't know if I agree with that. Someone's weight struggles on TV may be what is needed here as I don't know how effective letters will be. I am willing to give it a try. Sim
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/06 11:03 pm - Victoria, Canada
Good Morning Sim, I really enjoyed spending time with you and your mom yesterday. It does seem like we have been wasting our time but what we have accomplished is very important. We have a fresh set of test results which hopefully can be used elsewhere. We have a solid idea of just how healthy or unhealthy we are. And we may end up creating a much better sense of community here on OH's BC forum thru these common struggles. I know for myself, that I tend to isolate and this could be exactly what is needed to change that. I know how powerless people can feel when it seems their fate is in someone else's hands. I think it's time to direct my energy elsewhere...a little further south of me lol. I do feel disappointed that things are not moving as fast as I had hoped with Dr. M but maybe his road is not the road I am meant to travel on so I just gotta pull out my map and pick a different road...or Hope you have a great day today Sim. Talk to you soon. Janice
Most Active