New here!

winter_jayne
on 3/29/16 10:31 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but not new to the weight for surgery. 
I saw Dr Amson about 8 years ago, and decided that I wasn't ready to be serious about surgery. Now I have 3 kids and I am ready to be dedicated to the process. I was referred Sept 2014 and just got my orientation date. I have begun counselling through a program my husband's employer offers as well. 

When I saw him last, the wait was long to see him, he told me to lose weight and then if I did I would get a surgery date. Can someone tell me about the new VIHA program? I am excited that there seems to be better organization and support for us.

Thanks Everyone!

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/30/16 12:28 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Hello and welcome!

I was referred to Dr. Amson in July 2014 and just did my orientation last week. My understanding is that the process is currently about three years from referral to surgery.

One thing is for sure, you have to be proactive and do everything that's required of you.

The organization does seem to be better now that the bariatric program is so involved.

Best of luck to you!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

winter_jayne
on 3/30/16 3:44 pm

Now that you've done orientation, what is your next step? 

Win

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/30/16 4:13 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I'm continuing to educate myself on the process, improve my eating habits and add more exercise to my daily routine. I'm also tracking my food on MyFitnessPal and attending a weekly TOPS meeting.

It looks like I will have my assessment within four to six months and if I'm accepted into the program, surgery will likely be two or three months later.

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

winter_jayne
on 3/30/16 5:20 pm

Thank you!!
Is there an amount of weight that you were recommended to lose? Or is it the lifestyle change that is more important in the assessment? just curious, since last time he told me to lose 30 lbs and then come back.
I did a lot of research when I first decided to do this (8 years ago) and got a great book on it, that walked me step by step. I just pulled it out again and am planning on re-reading it this week. (WLS for Dummies) The only thing that is new to me is the Bariatric Program in victoria and the steps that are involved. 
I just logged back into MyFitnessPal. I haven't used it in a month and had been avoiding it.. :) 

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/30/16 6:27 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

They didn't tell me to lose any weight but it's happening as the result of eating better and exercising daily. I'm doing that in preparation for the surgery and to show them that I'm ready. I feel like the more weight I lose pre-surgery, the more successful my results will be.

I love wls for dummies and also the wls cookbook for dummies.

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

winter_jayne
on 3/30/16 7:24 pm

Yes! That's how I am feeling too. The more dedicated I am now, the more successful the surgery will be. I read (somewhere) that most people lose up to 70% of the extra weight post surgery, so I figure if I lose some before, the better off I will be after at reaching 100% of my goal.

I haven't read the cookbook yet, but I will add it to my list. 

Jibledoe
on 3/30/16 9:02 pm
VSG on 04/06/16

Welcome! They aren't so much looking for an amount of weight but the ability to follow the program, to ensure you're going to be successful. As Rhiannon already mentioned the more you do the weight starts coming off.

Welcome to the program!

rabgal
on 4/2/16 11:48 pm

Welcome Win :) Counselling is a great idea as well; the program coordinators look favourably on those that are taking proactive steps towards changing their habits.  

winter_jayne
on 4/3/16 9:33 pm

Do they give you a specific diet to follow? I worked with a nutritionist and have went back to that plan the second I got the call for orientation. Hoping that isn't too different from one they recommend. 

Winter

Most Active