CA Reconstructive Surgery Class Action Suit! Update/Repost

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/08 2:44 am, edited 2/16/08 4:37 am - San Jose, CA
As I posted recently (http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/board_id,4856/cat_id, 4456/topic_id,3518359/a,messageboard/action,replies/#2758655 7) I have discovered that there is a CA statute MANDATING that CA insurers pay for reconstructive plastic surgery.  I won my appeal with the CA DMHC based on this statute, and they ORDERED Health Net to pay for my reconstructive surgery -- but HN refused!  So the DMHC is now taking the case to Enforcement.

In the meantime, I have contacted a law firm that handles health insurance class action suits, and I have convinced them to seriously consider taking this case!  So now I am looking for more participants for the lawsuit.  Update:  they are taking the case!  It should be filed next week.

If you have been denied insurance coverage for reconstructive surgery in CA since 1999, please contact me at dianahc AT comcast DOT net.  If you are currently trying to get coverage for reconstructive surgery in CA, please have your reconstructive surgeon contact me -- I have a letter that would help prove that you meet the terms of the statute so that you can benefit from this requirement.  Update:  the law firm is looking for other members of the affected class!  If you live in CA and have had a formal denial/refusal to authorize reconstructive surgery, whether you have gone forward with the procedure or not, please contact me so I can refer you to the law firm.
Monica P.
on 2/16/08 1:20 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
Awesome news....please keep me updated on your progress.  I'm not ready for reconstructive surgery yet, but that will be my next battle with my HMO soon.
Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

kathyvg
on 2/17/08 11:00 am
My friend has healthnet hmo cvmg. They told her that they  will cover her tt when she reaches her goal weight. That was in 6/2007.
(deactivated member)
on 2/17/08 12:14 pm - San Jose, CA
I don't know what CVMG stands for. I'll bet they didn't put that promise in writing.  Is it possible that she already has a large pannus with rashes, and that's why they told her that?  I doubt it would be automatic otherwise.
Most Active