Hello...and help!

theonlysheresa
on 7/25/11 10:15 am - Carmel, CA
Hello there,

New to the forums but I have a ton of questions.  I really want to get the surgery but - from my calculations under my insruance; at the center of excellence; with the surgeon who takes my insurance - I'm looking at $13,000.

Questions:
Does anyone have Anthem Blue Cross PPO Share 5,000?
Has anyone gotten their surgery done at Good Samaritan Hospital?
What did you have done? How much was the bill (before/after insurance)
Is there a Blue Cross plan out there that I can change to that would make it less out of pocket for me?
Should of asked this first - but where's the "Insurance for Dummies" board? ;)

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

newbarb2
on 7/25/11 12:06 pm
Hi there.  While I didn't have my surgery at Good Samaritan or have Blue Cross PPO, I do benefits for a living.

First of all, to change plans, if you are covered by an employer plan, it has to be open enrollment or you have to have a life changing event.  Most HMO's require less out of pocket than the 13k you are looking at with the PPO.  PPO's offer flexibility but generally cost more out of pocket unless you are married and you are covered under a spouse's plan that allows a sharing of benefits.

I am happy to help but need to know a little more about what plans your employer offers.

Thanks,
Barb

acbbrown
on 7/25/11 1:31 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Go for an HMO. I paid $0 for my surgery (except $8 to park!)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

theonlysheresa
on 7/26/11 1:47 am - Carmel, CA
Seriously!! That's simply fantastic.  Can you tell me about your experience? What hospital/surgeon, what was the process like, etc.

Thanks!
amydolphin76
on 7/25/11 8:37 pm - Anaheim, CA
Hello, 

Yes, I have Anthem Blue Cross PPO through my husband and I did have to pay a share of cost around $5,000. I had surgery one year ago. My RNY surgery was at Orange Coast Memorial Hospital through Dr. LePort's office. My doctor is Dr. Kelly Francis and she is great.

Not sure if I can be of any more help because I dont know much about insurance plans.   We saved up for a year to afford my surgery.

Best wishes,
Amy
Life is a journey to be shared. ~Amy~        
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 12:55 am - CA
Welcome!

I had Kaiser so am no help there.
But I am in the Good Sam area if you need a friend !
theonlysheresa
on 7/26/11 1:48 am - Carmel, CA
Many thanks Cindy :)  I'm loving all the support from the forums so far.  Thanks to all! :)
ruggie
on 7/26/11 1:59 am - Sacramento, CA
I have Anthem Blue Cross PPO Premier; they covered my surgery, and informed me that I had to have it at a CoE (so I did have surgery at Good Sam in San Jose).

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

theonlysheresa
on 7/26/11 2:06 am - Carmel, CA
What about a program fee with the doctor's office?  The one I called had a $5,700 program fee - and others I'm seeing are anywhere from that down to $1,000.
ruggie
on 7/26/11 2:14 am - Sacramento, CA
Ah yes, I'm assuming that the $5,700 program fee is either my surgeron (Cirangle) or his partner (Josset).

I had to pay that out of pocket, no question. 

Yes, other surgeons are cheaper, but obviously cost wasn't the only consideration in picking my surgeon.  My philosophy was that I was going to have to live with the outcome of this surgery for the rest of my life, many decades (hopefully), so I need to hire the best surgeon I can.  I was fortunate that one of the best VSG surgeons in the country was only a two-hour drive away.  So I hired him and decided to pay the higher fee because he's a better surgeon, and his patients tend to lose higher than average amounts of weight with their support program as well.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active